PDA

View Full Version : new vs. used?

John Noell
04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
We are trying to decide whether to buy a new laser or a used one. Here in Fiji (and not even on the biggest island) we really need dependability (so scratch off the less-expensive Chinese lasers). I have heard such wonderful testimonials about Epilog support that I am very strongly inclined towards Epilog but new or used? I am seeing used models at considerable cost savings. Given our total lack of experience with lasers (but having pretty decent mechanical skills and a lot of computer and graphics experience) do people have advice about going with a new laser versus a used one?

Darren Null
04-26-2008, 1:21 AM
Easy choice- go new if you possibly can. A warranty can be worth your weight in gold in the right circumstances. I bought second-hand and my machine went wrong...luckily due to the folks at the creek I got it going again, but I was incredibly lucky. Having looked at just how much trouble I would have been in if I hadn't been able to get it going, I'd go with the warranty every time.

Consider also that a laser machine contains some rather expensive/rare/custom parts. Also that laser engravers are a relatively recent technology and it's always possible that you get the one built on Friday afternoon. One may serve you well for years; an identical model can be a nightmare.

Available parts, someone on the other end of the phone and warranty, warranty, warranty.

Joe Pelonio
04-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Epilog is good about supporting people that buy used machines. I'd look for one with a recent new tube. Otherwise, before buying find out from the manufacturer how much a new or refurbished tube costs. That's a major expense and you may run into a situation where someone is buying a new machine because they suspect their tube life is close to the end. On my Epilog 45 watt it used to be $2,300 but has dropped recently to $1,100 for a new tube.

Search here on tube and you may find other brand's prices that people have paid.

Peck Sidara
04-26-2008, 1:18 PM
John,

Thanks for keeping us in mind for your laser choice. Our tech support group will provide tech support on your Epilog regardless of whether it's new/used from the factory/local rep or not. We don't have a rep in Fiji so you'll have to call during business hours for support(if ever needed).

If you're looking to save some money by purchasing used, try to purchase from reputable sources such as directly from the factory (pre-owned), usedlasers.com or justlasers.com. They'll all come with a 6 month warranty; fully refurbished and have been worked on by people who know the product very well.

As Darren has stated; a new machine with a fresh warranty is ideal; if you're saving 1-2K, consider new. If the difference between new and used is significant, purchase a newer used system (3-5 years old, if possible) and buy from a reputable source.

HTH,