PDA

View Full Version : Can you pick up a Delta DJ-20 jointer ...

Charles Shenk
04-25-2008, 10:00 PM
with a "cherry picker?" If so, where is the best place to attach the straps? I'm not worried about the engine hoist being strong enough, just that the dj-20 jointer is an extra-awkward shape. I don't want to damage it picking it up to load it into the truck.

Pics are worth a million words if you have one.

Jim Andrew
04-25-2008, 10:04 PM
My Grizzly came with some hooks so you could easily hook chains on it and pick it up.

Mark Singer
04-25-2008, 10:27 PM
The Base and unit are seperate. So you just sling the unit. @ guys can carry it

Peter Quinn
04-26-2008, 7:59 AM
Pull the access door off the jointer base, remove the drive belt, unbolt the jointer casting from the base and lift from under the central body of the casting (the part which connects to the base), NOT THE TABLES.

I got some long bolts same diameter and thread as those that bolt the jointer to its base, bolted 2X4's to the jointer body and braced them, created a sort of crate/sled to carry the jointer into my basement shop. Again, DO NOT LIFT IT BY THE TABLES.

Four guys could easily carry it in if enough 12oz carrots are present upon completion, though a cherry picker should allow you to do it solo.

Charles Shenk
04-26-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm going to get it and will take some tools to take it appart. Lucky for me my garage/shop has smooth access so getting the machine in place shouldn't be the hard part. Thanks.

Dave Lewis
04-26-2008, 7:10 PM
I put a nylon strap around the body and below both beds. Then picked it up with a compact tractor bucket to lower into our new cellar bulkhead (w/o stairs) onto a wheeled platform. (Used the bucket "curl" to get addt'l capacity). (3.5 years ago).

Using a come-along hitched to a steel beam, the DJ-20 was lifted off the platform and onto a mobile base (from Amazon).

Slow, but saved a back. I also have a mobile base on a Unisaw - not used much after positioned, but still handy.