PDA

View Full Version : Alder finishing advice. Help Please!

Matt Woessner
04-25-2008, 9:48 PM
My wife's mom purchased us a piece of unfiished furniture for our baby (due June 1) for us to finish anyway we would like. It is made from alder, and we were wanting a dark walnut type color. I tried in an unseen spot the walnut stain, and looks like black streaks colored in the porus areas of the wood. So I figured that the stain is not the way to go. My wife is not happy with the stain. Has anyone finished alder before? I am thinking about just slapping on several coats of arm r seal and be done, but the wife would perfer a darker color. So does anyone know how to color the alder darker without streaks? Thanks for the help in advance.

Steve Schoene
04-28-2008, 9:56 AM
You will have an easier time getting a dark walnut color if your first step is a dye rather than a stain. I'd choose a powdered water soluble aniline dye. TransFast is one brand. Apply liberally with a sponge, working from the bottom up, and use the same sponge, wrung out to remove any excess dye. There is a chance that the color will be a bit more uneven (blotchy) than you would like though this will be much less than if you had used the stain with pigment in it. If that is the case, then apply a wash coat--either 1 lb. cut shellac, or thin your Arm r Seal about 3 parts thinner to 2 parts varnish. Lightly sand this with 320 grit paper, remove the dust, and apply a coat of a gel stain. This will even out the color and increase the apparent "depth" of the finish. When well dried apply your top coat.

Sorry you seem to have been overlooked for so long.

Joe Chritz
04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
First time I noticed the post.

I don't do much alder but I would just say to listen to Steve.

Joe

Matt Woessner
04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
No problem, thanks for the help guys. I was wondering if a dye would be what I need to use. I will give it a shot. Thanks again.