PDA

View Full Version : Replacing contractor saw arbor bearings

Jim McCarty
04-25-2008, 8:18 PM
I had a little time on my hands since work was slow for about a week, so I decided to use the time to service a number of my tools. I started by replacing the arbor bearings and motor bearings on my 30+ year old Unisaw. A little bit bigger job than I anticipated, but it's as smooth as a new saw now. Next were the routers. 3 PC 690's, and the motors from my PC 552 Pocket Cutter. The pocket cutter is much quieter and smoother now. Also added new cutters to it. The last candidate is one of my Delta contractor saws. I just finished putting new motor bearings in and need to change the arbor bearings, but it looks like I need to remove the top and wings to accomplish this. Has anyone done this without removing the top? It looks like it would save a lot of labor if it could be done without removing the top. If I don't have to remove the top, what is the procedure to get to the arbor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jim

Wes Bischel
04-25-2008, 8:32 PM
Jim,
It's been a while since I did my old Rockwell/Delta contractors saw. But if I remember correctly, I flipped the whole unit onto the top. Actually, I removed the bolts for the stand and turned it over in place on top of the stand. (oh, without the motor etc.) This gave me access to the arbor. I think I ended up cranking the angle wheel to slide it in and out.
Not sure if that helps,
Wes

Jim McCarty
04-27-2008, 9:59 AM
Jim,
It's been a while since I did my old Rockwell/Delta contractors saw. But if I remember correctly, I flipped the whole unit onto the top. Actually, I removed the bolts for the stand and turned it over in place on top of the stand. (oh, without the motor etc.) This gave me access to the arbor. I think I ended up cranking the angle wheel to slide it in and out.
Not sure if that helps,
Wes
Thanks Wes. I'll give that a try.

Dale Lesak
04-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi Jim, I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. I have a 34-444 Delta. took about three hours but it can be done biggest problem was the spanner nut that holds the bearing in. If you want more info e-mail me and I'll try to answer any questions. lesak@sainet.net Dale