View Full Version : Best way to apply carnauba wax?

John Pennisi
04-25-2008, 3:50 PM
I just got some of this wax in solid form and am trying to apply it for the first time. I am finding that it is not melting easily when held to the turning work. In videos I've seen the friction cause the wax to melt, and then the melted wax was rubbed in with a cloth, all while the work was on the lathe. I believe this was the Raffan video on turning, which I'm sure many have also seen. Anyway, I'm basically new to turning but learning quickly and loving every minute of it! Any suggestions on applying wax would be great!

Barry Elder
04-25-2008, 3:56 PM
Never heard of anyone using raw carnauba unless it was applied to a buffing wheel and then to the turned piece.

Geoff Hanha
04-25-2008, 4:11 PM
Hi if its a solid stick then just press against your work and draw across the turning, you dont really see much go on as such, after that use good kitchen paper, i use one called bonce an absorbant kitchen papercloth it does not break down into bits and stick to your turning as with cheap stuff, use this to press against your turning and again draw across the friction will melt and spreed across, then you can buff with the paper cloth.carnauba wax is meant more for going over the top of another polish like a friction polish or a melimine.
Don't use cloth if you value your fingers, to easy to mess up. Geoff
http://www.shapewood.co.uk

Allen Neighbors
04-25-2008, 5:06 PM
I apply carnauba with a 100% Cotton Denim buffing wheel at 1725 rpm.

Chris Padilla
04-25-2008, 5:10 PM
Speaking from the automotive world, they use carnauba but not PURE...pure is pretty hard stuff, right? They add stuff that allows the carnauba to "melt" simply with the warmth of your hand...or perhaps a spinning piece of wood.

Dennis Ford
04-25-2008, 6:05 PM
I have done it exactly as you mentioned seeing it on the video, it works great. You won't see much effect when applying the wax but it really shows up during the buffing. I use some cloth made for shining shoes but probably any soft cloth would work. If your not getting enough friction, try more speed and press the wax against the turning fairly hard. It is a quick finish and looks good but is not durable. ;)

David Newson
04-25-2008, 6:23 PM
John - The best way I have found and it works every time for me.

Apply cellulose sanding sealer or shellac sealer to seal the grain first,then go through your grade of grits, for most woods I generally don't go much beyond 400 grade and occasionally for something special 600 grade.

Once satisfied with your finish and leaving no scratch marks from your sanding, you are ready to apply your carnauba wax stick.

I generally set lathe speed to 700 - 1000rpm and using the corner edge of the wax stick starting from one end of your piece slowly go across the piece and using your other hand index finger at the bottom of the rotating piece you will visible see the friction from your finger is generating enough heat and spreading a thin film of carnauba wax across the piece as you apply the stick across the piece.

Once you have a thin film across the piece you can turn the lathe speed up 1500- 2000 rpm, and using soft cotton cloth and old tee shirt works good using a small part of the cloth you have to apply a fair bit of pressure to get a shine, which will be like a bit of glass which is then very durable particularly if the piece is going to be handle a fair bit.

One thing you have to watch for is any circular ring marks in the wax finish, these can be remove with the cloth again, you will find you get better results using a polishing mop to do the final shine because you can carefully hold the piece and polish any ring marks out.

Disclaimer this is the way I do it if you feel its not safe for you then don't proceed.

David
__________________________________________________ _________________
Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained