PDA

View Full Version : Pen Mill Recommendations Needed

Kent Cori
03-08-2003, 7:39 PM
I need to buy a good pen mill. I am just getting into pen making and have purchased a "beginner's package" but it lacks a pen mill. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the best one out there. I would like one that can handle multiple diameters and that wears very well.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Greaves
03-08-2003, 8:13 PM
Hi Kent,

I like using a Pen Mill to square off the ends of the blanks before turning. The one I am using right now is the one from Penn State Industries (PSI) that has multiple shafts for the different diameters. I think it is well made, and I like being able to use if for the different pen kits I make.

I have used other pen mills, with good and bad results. I use the mill in an electric drill. The mills that come with a threaded stub so you can screw it into a handle eventually break for me. The first one I bought I would just chuck up the threaded portion in my drill chuck, but the threads didn't allow for very good purchase on the tool. After that I bought barrell nuts to fit the threaded portion, which worked great for chucking. The new PSI mill isn't threaded on the shaft, so it works better for chucking.

I highly recommend the one from PSI.

That being said, remember that many pen makers do not use pen mills. They usually use a disc sander to square up the ends.

I would also mention that a friend of mine uses a piloted end mill from a machining supply company, and is quite happy with it. I may try that if and when my current mill gives out.

Good Luck!

Scott.

Simon St.Laurent
03-09-2003, 8:29 AM
On the sander vs. pen mill thing, I'm much happier with my pen mill, mostly because it makes the end of the blank conveniently square to the tube, even if the hole isn't perfectly square to the outside of the blank.

I've only had two pens where the top looked funny, but that was enough for me to get a mill. No such problems since.

(I still use the mill by hand, and have two, one each for the two sizes I've made. That'd change if I made pens in bulk!)

Norm Steinbach
03-11-2003, 5:15 PM
I do not yet have a lathe and have not tured any pens, but I hope to get into turning soon. I am confused with the term pen mill. Do you mean Lather Mandrel? Or is there a mill that is needed to make pens.

Norm:

Bob Janka
03-11-2003, 6:08 PM
Norm,

A pen mill is a fancy tool to trim the ends of pen blanks after gluing in the tubes. The pen mill has a central shaft to insert into the brass tube and a cutting head with 2-4 edges to cut away wood. You insert the pen mill into the glued-up tube blank and twist it until the end of the recessed tube is exposed. This helps square up the wood with the end of the tube and allows it to fit snugly against the bushings on the mandrel.

Alternate methods involve using a disk sander, miter guage, and a tube holder to keep the blank square while sanding the ends.

I forgot to bring my pen mill to the Craft Center when I made my prototype pen, so I ended up using the belt side of a disk/belt sander. I didn't have the tube holder, so I just ran the blank up to the belt using a miter guage to keep it square. I need to remount the blanks and do a little more turning, sanding, and finishing before I'm ready to assemble. Then, I'll know if the "quick and dirty" sanding approach works. :)

Cheers,
Bob Janka