PDA

View Full Version : Scanning directly to Vectors

Kevin L. Waldron
04-25-2008, 1:19 PM
Is anyone using a scanner to do art work, music, or drawings and then using the software to go directly to vector files not bitmap?

If so what scanner and software?

I have an older HP scanner with software that will allow direct conversion of graphics to vector files. I would like to find a newer scanner and software to do the same.

I have both laser and cnc router and often need large sizes of files in vector to be able to cut on the cnc router.

Thanks,

Kevin

Bruce Volden
04-25-2008, 1:48 PM
I scan quite a bit (not music though;)) and use PhotoPaint to clean up and then Trace to convert to vector. I know of no software to "vectorize" from the scanner without lotsa clean up! Even after I Trace I still have further clean up and node editing. I use CorelDraw for this.

Bruce

Mike Null
04-25-2008, 2:11 PM
I am aware of only the older HP scanner with vector ability. I had one and it did a better job than Corel Trace at the time. I don't have it any longer and rarely scan anything.

Today's Trace is much better than the older versions.

Joe Pelonio
04-25-2008, 2:34 PM
I had one of those things, it was an old SCSI. It really only saved a quick step, because the vector file still needed a lot of cleaning up. More in fact than using X-3 Trace.

Kevin L. Waldron
04-25-2008, 3:43 PM
Thanks for the input.

In particular; I am trying to re-produce hymnal songs(non-copyright or expired). The old scanner does a good job at this, just slow go. I usually photo copy first then scan and vectorize directly in the Hp software interface. I have Corel x4, Flexisign Pro, Artcam, Enroute, Vcarve for tracing but none of these do shape notes well. The cleanup for doing this kind of vectorizing is to slow with such software but the scanner software works like a jewel. It may be that I have to stick with the old software and scanner. I was hoping that something else had come out on the market. I am cutting these songs out in sizes as large as 48 x 96. Sometimes we use the laser sometimes the router; size determines best machine. Laser is much faster than router but without the great definition that the router gives.

Thanks,

Kevin

Bruce Volden
04-25-2008, 5:36 PM
Kevin

Is it possible and perhaps faster to already have "notes" vectorized and place them as needed?? Then add sharps and whatever else (can't read music) would go along with the hymn?? I would attempt this by having the hymn already into Corel in wire frame and then import the vectored notes and place them as needed on the wireframe scaling them as needed, Once all is in place delete the hymn (bitmap part) and the vectored notes should all be there! Select all-group-save-name-done! Anyway, that's how I would attempt this, but I'm old and have lotsa time??????:D

Bruce