PDA

View Full Version : Need belt/disk sander, bought one no good, need better

jason lambert
04-25-2008, 10:52 AM
After reading all the reviews and picking peoples brain on this board I ordered a jet JSG-96OS 9"disk 48" belt sander. I assembled it last night and I am totally unimpressed so much so that it is going back! The trouble is the tables, one doesn't lock well and the table on the disk side flexes with only minor pressure making it impossable to sand a 90 deg there is no way to have the tables at 90 deg and not flex or move. The JSG-6DCK jet looks much better may go with that but now I am around $900. Any other optons?

If I am going to spend 1k on a sander what about the powermatic or other brands.

Life is to short and I am to old to deal with crap chinees tools.

Bill Wyko
04-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Check out the Rikon. I like it because the disc is lower than the belt. This allows more freedom of movement.

Joe Jensen
04-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Buy used. I see 6 by 48 with 12" disks on Craig's list every day. Expect to pay $500 or so for a used industrial machine. No shiny paint, and no box of packing material to dispose of, but a much better machine in the end...joe

jason lambert
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I have been looking for months. I live in north jersey out side NYC so there are not to many used tools here.

Dick Adair
04-25-2008, 1:02 PM
Here you go!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-12-Disc-3450-RPM/G1183

Joe Jensen
04-25-2008, 1:16 PM
One of the silver linings of the housing downturn here is Phx is an abundance of commercial tools. Unfortunately very little old iron. I have been watching for a deal on giant Powermatic 225 planer for 2 years.

Brian Kent
04-25-2008, 1:31 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z

I have been very happy with this sander. It is rock solid and the belt changes are quick and easy. I use it without the front guard so I can sand on the end too. Also has a graphite pad that keeps it cooler.

Steven Wilson
04-25-2008, 1:44 PM
The beefier Grizzly that Dick posted is a decent machine, the G1014Z that Brian posted is in the same class that Jet you're returning is. The Powermatic, large Delta, and the beefier Jet are all decent machines. Old used ones are great too.

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 2:18 PM
If you want a combo belt/disk sander of good quality and reasonable cost, the G1276 from Grizzly is a very nice machine. I own one. 6"x48" belt and 12" disk. 1750 RPM for less burning when shaping wood. Heavy cast iron. Not unlike the more expensive Jet, Delta, etc., units of similar capacities.

Greg Hines, MD
04-25-2008, 2:33 PM
I do not need a disc sander yet, as my Shopsmith takes care of sanding for now. But when I do decide on a dedicated unit, I am going to look at this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921516000P?vName=Tools&keyword=spindle+sander

I particularly like having three sanders for the price of two.

Doc

Richard Wolf
04-25-2008, 3:38 PM
I believe this is a much better way to go. Unless for some reason you need a disc, this type of sander works very well for flats, curves, edges and some inside curves.
www.grizzly.com/products/Edge-Sander-w-Wrap-Around-Table/G0512

Richard

Matt Meiser
04-25-2008, 3:43 PM
Overall, I've actually been pretty happy with my Jet, which is the same one you are returning. The black table for the belt sander isn't the best, but the other table, which can be used for either I've felt was pretty good. I'd inspect it for a crack or something that would introduce excessive flex. My first one had a bad disc that was seriously warped out of the box.

Brian Kent
04-25-2008, 4:00 PM
The beefier Grizzly that Dick posted is a decent machine, the G1014Z that Brian posted is in the same class that Jet you're returning is. The Powermatic, large Delta, and the beefier Jet are all decent machines. Old used ones are great too.

Same class, except he's returning the Jet for the table deflection and the Grizzly's hold solid under pressure.