PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Choices

Scott Harper
04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I am about to purchase my first bandsaw. I am getting a 14" Shop Fox W1706 with a riser block. Reading the advice in this forum, it appears that it is a good idea to buy some good blades to go with it. I am looking for advice on what blades to get. This saw will be used for both flat work and cutting bowl blanks for turning. I am figuring I need 3 blades: a narrow blade for curves, something to cut bowl blanks with, and a resaw blade.

Based on the review of bandsaw blades in Fine Woodworking, I was thinking about a Highland Hardware Wood Slicer for the resaw blade. My question on the resaw blades is what width to get. The FW article seemed to recommend a .5" blade, but I would think that a .75" would be better. Am I missing something?

Highland hardware sells a .375" blade specifically designed for woodturners. Is this a good choice?

I am not sure what to look for in a blade for cutting curves.

Recommendations, suggestions, and advise is greatly appreciated,
Scott

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 2:23 PM
Although your 14" saw will likely accommodate a 3/4" blade, a 1/2" blade may perform better and requires less tension. And remember that your re-saw blade needs to be dedicated to straight cutting. Even a small curve is going to reduce its efficiency and quality of cut.

As to the "3/4" blade just for woodturners"...that's too wide, IMHO. 3/8" or 1/2" is going to be better. And you want a blade designed for wet wood, like the Timberwolf AS series from suffolkmachinery.com. These are a little thicker and perform better with the kind of material that turners typically chop up. (Although over time, you'll find that a chain saw is all you need to "prepare" your blanks)

Lee Schierer
04-25-2008, 2:54 PM
I agree, most 14" bandsaws are not equipped to properly tension a 3/4" blade.

Peter Quinn
04-25-2008, 8:38 PM
Some people way smarter than me with high tech equipment tried to tell me i couldn't properly tension a 3/4" blade with a 14" bandsaw even though it would technically fit on the machine...and they were right. If the spring doesn't bottom out the first time you install a 3/4" blade, it probably will shortly.

Now, one cobra coil later I stick to 1/2" max on the 14" saw. 1/2" 3tpi seems to work for me for resaw. I'm using timberwolf from Suffolk, never tried the Woodslicer, seems to review well. I don't turn so can't help you there.

For curves there is a specific minimum radius each size of blade is physically capable of, so it depends on the radius you intend to cut. Most of the curves I cut I use a 3/8" 6tpi blade. Check this link for a good chart that may help even if you don't buy anything from them.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/silicon_steel_selection.asp

Jack Briggs
04-26-2008, 6:47 AM
Everyone's right here. Forget about a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw. Even the iron castings can't support the tension neede for that width blade. I even bolster my saw's frame with wooden strut braces when resawing to eliminate any tendency for the frame to flex under load.

Curt Harms
04-26-2008, 7:49 AM
I bought 2 blades from Supercut (http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/products.html). The cut quality of the 1/2" 3TPI blade is comparable to the Timberwolf 3/4" resaw blade on my Rikon 10-325. It seems like the carbide impregnation should help blade life. I haven't used it enough yet to judge that. They do answer their phone and seem to know what they're talking about. I was going to get the woodsaver blade for more money and the person I talked to recommended the cheaper blade over the more expensive resaw blade for domestic (cheaper) woods. This carbide tooth is not like the traditional carbide bandsaw blades in that the carbide teeth are not brazed on like router bits and circular saw blades but appears to be sintered or a similar process. The teeth do have set so don't cut as smooth as the brazed carbide no-set teeth on the big buck blades but a little sanding or a light pass thru a planer make it all better.:)

HTH

Curt

Basil Rathbone
04-26-2008, 1:00 PM
I also have the Rikon 10-325 and Supercut blades and am very happy with both. Before finding out that I can't get Timberwolf blades shipped to Canada I was thinking of them but lots of research and comments here and elsewhere lead me to look around a bit and I am glad I did.

Michael Sobik
04-26-2008, 4:44 PM
I'm running an 1-1/4" Laguna resaw king blade on my LT14. Tensions up fine and seems to cut really well too. Although I have yet to try anything else for ripping and resawing I'm happy with the performance of the resaw king.