PDA

View Full Version : WHEN to replace bandsaw tires

Jon Crowley
04-25-2008, 9:00 AM
How do you know when it is time to replace bandsaw tires? When they aren't smooth any more? WHen they lose their crown?

I recently acquired a 1950's Delta/Homecraft 10" bandsaw. After adjusting, everything is tracking great. The tires seem OK... not dried, cracking, etc, although they are completely flat and do not have a crown at all. What would I gain, if anything, by replacing the tires?

Edit - I'm not sure if the tires are original or replacements. Some other parts, like the guide blocks, have been replaced, so I suppose it's possible they are not original.

Frank Drew
04-25-2008, 9:39 AM
Jon,

If the machine is working well I can't see any reason to replace the tires.

I sent the wheels from my very old 18" Oliver back to Oliver to have the tires replaced and of course they did a fine job. Since I didn't use the bandsaw anything like every day, I'd take the tension off the band until the next time I needed to use the saw; retensioning just takes a couple minutes and if you plan to keep your saw forever that's a good practice and prevents creating a permanent groove in the tires. Oliver gave me that piece of advice.

Michael Faurot
04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
How do you know when it is time to replace bandsaw tires?

I replaced the tires on my Grizzly G0555 when I noticed the upper guide throbbing. I used replacement Carter tires purchased from Woodcraft, and that solved the issue.

If your saw is working fine, then I'd leave it alone. If you start having tracking issues or vibration problems, then you might want to look at getting replacement tires.