PDA

View Full Version : cmt glass panel set

Mike Newell
04-25-2008, 7:39 AM
I'm considering buying the cmt glass panel set. After thinking about it I realized it is always better to see if anyone at the Creek has a better approach to making glass doors. (My last and only attempt I used my raised panel set, inserted the glass at glue up and then used molding to fill in the space left over. Not a great system. If the glass breaks I have to build a new door)

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

David DeCristoforo
04-25-2008, 9:22 AM
Basically, this is a "standard" cope and stick set with the tongue and groove replaced by a simple rabbet. It's a fine way to make glass frames (certainly better than building the glass into the door!) with a small disadvantage, that being the inherent weakness of the joint due to the elimination of the T&G. This will not be an issue for mullions but the corners where the stiles and rails meet could stand some extra reenforcement. You could use dowels or a "floating tenon", either of which could be milled prior to making the cope and stick cuts.

Mike Porter
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
When using the raised panel bit set for a glass paneled door, I've always ripped the inside shoulder off on the tablesaw ( completely removed on the rails- a stopped cut for the stiles - finished off with a sharp chisel) Once door is glued and sanded, I use Alex Plus clear translucent caulking to "glue" the glass in place. It's quick, easy and you've already got the tools required.

John Pahl
04-25-2008, 1:12 PM
I follow Mike's plan on this one. I use a rabiting bit to turn the groove into a rabit and install the glass from there...