PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
04-25-2008, 5:27 AM
Friday April 25th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

It's been a pretty good week here in the upper midwest's answer to Disney World. :) All the merchants, park operators and assorted other seasonal enterprises are ramping up for the "season". With gas edging ever closer to $4/gallon, it's going to interesting what kind of year the "Dells" has.

I got a cortisone shot in my heel Tuesday. After the initial pain of the shot :eek:[still the worst pain I've ever encountered], I was able to walk out of the Dr.'s office with no pain. A few hours later the pain was back, however each day since the pain has become less and less. I still have to take it easy as it does hurt if I'm on it too long, but at least now I should be able to get out and play some golf. As well as get to work cleaning up the shop and getting some projects done.

It's been a nice week weather wise also. Mid 70's. Some rain and thunder today, with some severe weather possible. However, the warm temps are going away starting Saturday. Next week sounds like our high temps will only be in the 40's and 50's with frost several mornings. As long as it doesn't snow. :eek:

My priority this weekend is getting the JD fixed. Went to start it and nothing. Nada. Zip. :( Checked the battery. It's good. Battery cables are good. Stopped at the JD dealer and they suggested I need to check the ignition switch. I can't complain though. I bought the tractor in 1994. Other than a battery, which I replaced in 2006, the only thing it's had is regular maintenance. :) It gets used year round.

So, what's up in your neck of the woods? Whatever it may be I hope it's a good weekend for everyone.

Just remember to BE SAFE.

Karl

John Keeton
04-25-2008, 6:41 AM
Good Mornin' Karl and others! First thing will be to get a loan and fill up all vehicles with gas before the price goes up even further! If market conditions don't drive up the prices, the media will talk us all into $5 gas!! Then, I think I will go buy rice - and I don't even like the stuff! But, if there ain't gonna be any, I want my share!

Weather does not look promising for the weekend. Plans include hooking on to the bushhog to do some rough mowing around the place between showers if it doesn't get too wet. Main project is to repair the collapsed ducts on my new DC system and to install the new PVC windows I made for the shop. The original windows are the metal sliders that are routinely installed in metal buildings and are junk. They have leaked from day one.

Have other yard work to do, but the weatherman is not being kind to those plans. Hope everyone has a safe weekend!

Mike SoRelle
04-25-2008, 6:55 AM
Morning everyone!

Glad you're getting some relief Karl, I've had a couple of cortisone shots in my feet, and sometimes i's hurts like hell, and sometimes it's awesome, but the worst pain I've ever had was kidney stones a couple of years ago. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. (okay, so maybe I would, but you can bet he deserved it)

Feeling the same gas pain here at 3.59 yesterday for the cheap stuff, though I bet that sounds good to some of the folks out west.

Same mediocre forcast up here as John has, I did at least manage to get the yard done last night after being assaulted by the weedeater, let's just say that bump feed head saw it's last bump and came at me at full speed, only managed to take a small divot out of my shin through my jeans, after that I *really* don't understand the people that use them in shorts.

This weekend I might scoot everything out and do a good stray dust vacuuming , the walls and corners behind everything are getting pretty bad.

Other than that I think I might just relax and catch up on all the DVR'd shows that I haven't gotten around to watching over the last couple of weeks.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Mike

Matt Meiser
04-25-2008, 7:48 AM
I have another Creeker visiting tomorrow to pick up a new tool gloat for him, and I'll be working on my new tool gloat. Actually I was too excited and already went out early this morning and worked on it for a few minutes. Pics to follow :D

I also need to work figuring out a new arrangement for the shop as I want to move my workbench in front of a window and I bought an MS-UV last week so the cabinets my miter saw used to sit on need to move elsewhere.

Craig McCormick
04-25-2008, 8:28 AM
Greetings from Arizona,

Jill and I are headed to the south east corner of the state to pick up a 1946 Alma auto camper (travel tailer) to add to our collection. I hope the golden birch interior is as good as the pictures show! I feel a certain positive energy when I am inside one of these vintage trailers surrounded by all the vintage woodwork.

Still waiting for the electrician to show up at our new 13' X 23' shop and install the 100 amp sub panel and a few outlets. I am itching to use my new Robland X31 combo machine.

The nights are still cool and the afternoons a little toasty here in Arizona. The new shop is well insulated and ready for a cooling system test.

Havin fun in AZ,

Craig McCormick

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2008, 8:30 AM
Well,

If my day job doesn't project into the weekend.....

Make a couple of final decisions about the cabinets for my shop and get on with building them.

Little Riley, the great-granddaughter has been ill this week and the LOML took some time off to babysit Riley so Riley's Mom (our granddaughter) could go to work at the new job she started this week. Little Riley, 21 months wanted to cuddle and be rocked. Nanny (the LOML) enjoyed this WAY too much!

The weather is supposed to be in the high 60s and mid-70s this weekend. Time to mow and trim the yard.

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 8:47 AM
Well....I will be engaged in "construction" this weekend. We FINALLY got the CO for our addition on Wednesday afternoon. So now it's time to convert our now-former master bedroom into our older daughter's new bedroom and a hallway. I'm taking advantage of my GC's relationship with a lumber supplier and about 30 2x4s will be dropped off here sometime today. I already have the drywall (DW sub sold it to me cheap after working in the addition rather than having to take it away) and the door. (one additional door to match the addition was included in my arrangement with the GC)

Before I get to that, I have to finish taking down the old stained construction lumber bookshelves on the loft above the great room as the floor folks are starting Monday morning on refinishing the floors in said great room and on the loft. (I wanted to paint first, but scheduling is what it is...you take the subcontractor when you can get them and Mark the floor guy's original job for next week postponed)

Oh, and mowing the lawn is no longer optional. I'm going to have to put the deck back on the Kubota and get to that this weekend. This is going to be one of those times I wish I had a second machine just to mow...I have so much landscaping work to do over the next few months and keeping the backhoe and FEL on the tractor without the mower deck would be much preferable.

Don Bullock
04-25-2008, 9:02 AM
Karl, take care of yourself. I'm glad to hear that the Dr. thinks that your heal will get better with time.

Tomorrow, if all goes as planned (escrow is scheduled to close today) my wife and I will be picking up the key to our "new" home in Fallbrook, California. Fallbrook is a semi-rural area just north of San Diego and is about a two hour drive south of where we live now. The house is just under 3,000 sq/ft and about 1 1/4 acres. Several close friends (that also breed and show basset hounds) live within just a few miles of the house.

On Sunday we will be taking our pregnant basset down to one of our friends in Fallbrook so that she can take care of the puppies until we're out of school in the middle of June. We also have some other friends who want to see the house, so we have planned to have lunch with them down there.

Needless to say, I'm extremely excited.:D This type of home and land has been a dream of ours for many years. There is plenty of space already graded on the lot for my new shop/garage. I hope to have it constructed before the end of summer.

Front of home. Yes, I'll be busy with landscaping. The man who owned the home lost his business soon after he had it placed on the lot in 2004. He ran out of funds for all the landscaping.

The shop/garage will go here. Right now I'm planning on a 24' x 40' building with most of the area for my shop. Our custom PT Cruiser will be parked in one end and a space for another vehicle to occasionally park next to that when we need to put one in the garage for some reason.

49 days and I'm free!!!:D:D:D

Steven Shelby
04-25-2008, 9:10 AM
Morning, Karl!
Morning, Everybody!

Well, it's finally Lawn Care Season here in New England! So I suspect part of the weekend will be dedicated to thatching the "lower 40", as we call the lower section of our backyard, and getting the irrigation system up and running on that part of the property. I spent last evening thatching and fertilizing the front lawn.

No, the dining room hutch/buffett/thingie is not done. I still have to make a door, finish, hang the doors and install hardware. I know it seems like that should be a Sunday morning worth of work... But then, why is this project taking me all winter into spring to complete? I really want to get it out of the shop so I can start cleaning up for spring. The place is a war zone at the moment. Hopefully I can make some progress on this front, along with the other things on the agenda:

Have to take my truck to the dealer Saturday morning for about the 6th time in the last 3 months. I have finally gotten the ABS to stop kicking in whenever it feels like it. But there is still a "chirp" in the left front. I think it's a bearing, but it'll never make the chirp when the Tech drives it. So, as far as they know, it doesn't exist. The darn thing is a 2006 under warranty. It isn't covered by Lemon Laws, but don't I have recource if GM can't uphold the terms of the warranty????

Other than that, It's dogs to the groomer on Saturday, prep the camper for next weekend's voyage, and then sit on the couch and watch Talladega on Sunday!!

Here's hoping your weekend is a little more settled than mine is going to be! Enjoy!

Mike SoRelle
04-25-2008, 9:20 AM
Morning, Karl!
Morning, Everybody!

Well, it's finally Lawn Care Season here in New England! So I suspect part of the weekend will be dedicated to thatching the "lower 40", as we call the lower section of our backyard, and getting the irrigation system up and running on that part of the property. I spent last evening thatching and fertilizing the front lawn.

No, the dining room hutch/buffett/thingie is not done. I still have to make a door, finish, hang the doors and install hardware. I know it seems like that should be a Sunday morning worth of work... But then, why is this project taking me all winter into spring to complete? I really want to get it out of the shop so I can start cleaning up for spring. The place is a war zone at the moment. Hopefully I can make some progress on this front, along with the other things on the agenda:

Have to take my truck to the dealer Saturday morning for about the 6th time in the last 3 months. I have finally gotten the ABS to stop kicking in whenever it feels like it. But there is still a "chirp" in the left front. I think it's a bearing, but it'll never make the chirp when the Tech drives it. So, as far as they know, it doesn't exist. The darn thing is a 2006 under warranty. It isn't covered by Lemon Laws, but don't I have recource if GM can't uphold the terms of the warranty????

Other than that, It's dogs to the groomer on Saturday, prep the camper for next weekend's voyage, and then sit on the couch and watch Talladega on Sunday!!

Here's hoping your weekend is a little more settled than mine is going to be! Enjoy!

As far as the truck goes, I've found that making yourself a complete pain in the service manager's rear is usually the best way to drive those issues. Though you might want to find a new dealer service department after they resolve this issue :)

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2008, 9:27 AM
Karl, take care of yourself. I'm glad to hear that the Dr. thinks that your heal will get better with time.

Tomorrow, if all goes as planned (escrow is scheduled to close today) my wife and I will be picking up the key to our "new" home in Fallbrook, California.

Needless to say, I'm extremely excited.:D This type of home and land has been a dream of ours for many years. There is plenty of space already graded on the lot for my new shop/garage. I hope to have it constructed before the end of summer.

Front of home. Yes, I'll be busy with landscaping. The man who owned the home lost his business soon after he had it placed on the lot in 2004. He ran out of funds for all the landscaping.

The shop/garage will go here. Right now I'm planning on a 24' x 40' building with most of the area for my shop. Our custom PT Cruiser will be parked in one end and a space for another vehicle to occasionally park next to that when we need to put one in the garage for some reason.

49 days and I'm free!!!:D:D:D

Hey Don......You are starting to sound like a school teacher who's approaching the end of the school year, retirement, a new home and a new shop! :rolleyes:

Congrats! You've earned it.

Steven Wilson
04-25-2008, 2:13 PM
Well we're fixing to have an inch or so of snow - won't last long though. I'm going to put the snow blower in storage and retrieve the pressure washer, JD and the de-thatcher (good for basic raking the yard if you don't put much weight on it). I also need to fix a wheel on SWMBO's bicycle and make a couple of leather sheaths for some recently made knives. If I have any time left I want to make a steam box.

Dennis Peacock
04-25-2008, 3:37 PM
Howdy Karl,

Not real sure about woodworking this weekend as it will be more time for working the day job and I hope to finish getting the garden in then get my mower fixed so I can get the "hay field" cut since the boys broke our mower.

Have a good weekend...!!!

David Duke
04-25-2008, 4:28 PM
I'm getting the yard mowed and trimmed this afternoon, probably won't get much WWing done Saturday, we will be attending the memorial of my aunt who passed away last week. Sunday I hope to get the last 16 drawers built for my kitchen project then begin sanding/fitting. I hope to get everything done and stained/finished for installation in the next couple of weeks.

Hope everyone has a GREAT and safe weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete Kurki
04-25-2008, 7:10 PM
Impatiently waiting for a delivery of my planer and jointer. A local pro shop was upgrading and unloaded their 3-5 year old G9860 and G5850Z for a reasonable price. Seemed like nice options for a beginner;). Unfortunately it is almost snowing right now. I hope the guy gets here before dark. At least no need to mow lawn this weekend so that I can concentrate on wiring and ducting the new pieces. :D:D:D

Pete

Pete Kurki
04-25-2008, 9:09 PM
Finally both planer and jointer are safely in my shop. It wasn't fun unloading the pieces since it is snowing and 29F outside. Fortunately the guy who brought them was very good at handling his skid steer forklift, so the move of these 1000 lb babies went flawlessly. Now I just need to learn how to use them over the next 20 years.

Pete

Don Bullock
04-25-2008, 9:21 PM
Hey Don......You are starting to sound like a school teacher who's approaching the end of the school year, retirement, a new home and a new shop! :rolleyes:

Congrats! You've earned it.

Gee, Ken, does it show that much?;):D Thanks. I'm finishing up my 37th year of teaching on Friday, June 13th. :D