PDA

View Full Version : I WON a Pelton&Crane D.L.!

Scott Hubl
04-25-2008, 1:28 AM
Been looking for a Dental Light, and finally 3 came up from the same seller at starting bids of $99.95 With a reasonable shipping cost of $21.12. (to my area)

And a 90 day warranty.(blah blah blah, looks to have "conditions" so really wont come into play here)

I watched these for the last 7 days, 1 was bid on the day I posted in the classifieds that I was looking for one. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raised.gif

The other 2 sat, the second was bid on earlier and ended with 2 bidders, selling for the starting bid of 99.95(turns out bids were same bidder on that one)

One of them ended up with 9 bids and sold for $145.39

I kept watching as 1 was not bid on at all and placed my $99.95 bid with a minute to go, and just watched(and hoped, as I hopefully wasn't going to bid any higher)

I WON it at the starting $99.95 bid as no one else hit it.($121.07 Shipped)

All 3 were listed at the exact same time with the same exact ending times.( I HATE that.)

I had emailed the seller earlier in the week about them as the pics all looked the same even though he claimed the pics were of the Actual item.(Serial#on tag pic were the same #'s)

And said he had others I could buy outright for $500.00
WTHeck was he thinking? DUH!

I also placed a CL ad looking for one too, 40 minutes before auction end a guy emails me after the AD, has sat all week to say, he may have one and will look and see TOMORROW (sigh)

I emailed him back if there was any way he could check NOW as I was about to BID on one within 30 minutes.
He didnt reply, but I may have another one IF he has it cheap. OR its BETTER than the ebay one.

For those who have these Dental Lights lighting up your lathe can you post pics and describe the hookup, wiring, mounting, ect.
Thanks.

Heres 3 pics of mine soon to arrive.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/ezsellctr0388.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/ezsellctr0389.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/ezsellctr0390.jpg

I believe I will NEED to make this "arm" seen in this picture that is of another "pole mounted" Dental Light and then some type of cord configuration.

Again if you are using a Dental Light like these please post some pics and helpful tips on wiring and mounting it.
Thanks.:D
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/0324_1.jpg

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 7:55 AM
Very nice, Scott! Congrats on your win!

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2008, 8:06 AM
Congrats on your win Scott.

Pete Jordan
04-25-2008, 8:15 AM
Scott,

I have one very similar and I love it. I got mine with a floor base and just had to put a plug on it. They are wonderful to work with and glide out of the way very easily.

Scott Hubl
04-25-2008, 8:28 AM
Thanks Jim, Bernie,
I have been looking on CL and ebay off an on for a long time for one that was within my set budget. (These can be very costly.)
The guy from CL emailed me this morning said he went to bed right after he emailed me last night,and was sorry, but said he has it but hasnt checked it out yet.
I emailed him back telling him I might just still be interested in it, so we will see if he and I can come to an agreement once I see it. ( Hopefully his will have the mounting hardware or the Track that they can slide in.)

Thanks Pete any tips on hooking it up?

Can I see some pics of your setup?

I know Dave Peebles, Bill Grumbine, and David Marks all use one too.
And have heard they are really nice to have for the lathe.

Kurt Bird
04-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Scott,
I have attached a photo of my light over the lathe. Installation was pretty straightforward. If you buy a new bulb, be sure to hold it with a rag during installation, don't touch it with your bare fingers as the oil residue will cause the bulb to fail. Congrats on your gloat!
Kurt

Frank Guerin
04-25-2008, 6:38 PM
I'm still chasing one. Perhaps you people will quit out bidding me when I do find a ? deal,

P.S. Congrats on the deal. You may want buy lamps or whatever for future use.

Scott Hubl
04-25-2008, 9:20 PM
Thanks Kurt,
Your setup looks sweet, looks like you got the mounting brackets/hardware with yours.
I should be abe to weld up a piece of pipe the right size to some 1/4" steel flat stock or something.

Thanks for the bulb tip, I knew that about Halogen lights and will use a clean rag, I did find replacement bulbs online for it (17-20 bucks) and talked to Pelton & Cranes Tech support, there isnt much on these old units(about 30 years old he said) but should be fine. Other places still have some replacement parts but P & C does not.

Well Frank keep a watchful eye open is what I did for several months.
Now it seems that the old saying "When it rains it pours" is very much true, as now 2 local people have contacted me saying they have a Dental Light 1 of them says he has TWO!

Of course they contacted me after the auction well the first guy contacted me 40 minutes before auction close with a " I think I have one of those in my garage" then did not reply back to me before the auction ended and I sat watching the 3 lights for the past week and did not want to let one of them get away from me .

I'll be looking at the 2 the one guy has tomorrow, so I may just end up with a few of them here.
The other guy claims he has One for sure but hasnt got back to me to set up a time to see it.

I just maybe selling a few soon IF I can get the local ones reasonabally priced. They could help me offset the cost of the 1 or 2 I keep and still be a fair price, a win/win deal I hope.

Scott Hubl
04-26-2008, 4:17 PM
Well I went and picked up 2 more of these Dental Lights this afternoon from the guy who emailed me right before the auctions end, but didnt get back to me until the following day.

I sure wish he had. I got a Good deal of these.
1 of them is the same brand and model as my ebay one except its Silver.
I still have a line on 4 more, when it rains it sure pours.

These lights are not as big and bukly as one might think either.
I will most likely use 2 one at each end on my lathe.:D

John Sheets
04-26-2008, 7:06 PM
I don't know that a dental light would be the best option for turning. If you like them, that's great, but I wouldn't suggest that everyone should start combing ebay, etc. A dental light will have some disadvantages: it's not terribly bright, the coverage area is limited and drops off sharply at the edges, and the light it produces is more diffuse in character. It will not have the point source characteristic that will allow a turner to more readily see ridges and scratches that would be well shown by a light source raking across the surface and making distinct shadows.
I personally use four overhead floods at different angles, and one of the $25 Woodcraft magnetic base jobs at the tailstock end pointed toward the headstock.
Just my $.02, however I have had a little experience with them, since I spent 34 years doing work a little more intricate than turning using one daily.
John Sheets, DDS

Alan Tolchinsky
04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi John, I have to agree with you. I've been in practice for 25 years(using that light most of the time) and would not think a dental light would be that advantageous for turning. I too like light coming from the tail stock to see things better. Maybe it's because of my aging eyes but I need a lot more light these days. Now let's see if any more DMD's or DDS's chime in here. :D Alan Tolchinsky D.M.D.