PDA

View Full Version : Need Grass hinge ID and help w/specs (w/pic)

David Eisan
04-24-2008, 8:51 PM
Hello Everyone,

A friend has a bunch of these Grass hinges he bought a year or so back and never used. I would like to use them on my current garage cabinet project. The problem is that he does not have the specs for these hinges and they are not current, so I cannot find specs for them on the web.

Here are any of the marks I can read off of them,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/grasshinge.jpg

stamped on the back of the cup, 12/1, 07-01

stamped on the back of the hinge knuckle, 07 01

stamped on the back of the mounting plate, 01 06, 160

stamped on the back of the hinge arm, US PAT 6061872

I would like to know what overlay these hinges are, how many MM from the edge of the door the 35MM cup hole should be drilled and how far back the from the edge of the cabinet the mounting plate should be.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,

David.

Don Abele
04-24-2008, 9:26 PM
David, I can't give you any information on your specific hinges, but I have used a lot of european cup hinges.

To figure the overlay, close the hinge. If the middle of the cup lines up with the mounting plate it's a full overlay. If the edge of the cup is slightly beyond the mounting plate it's half. And if the edge of the cup is short of the plate, it's inset.

As for mounting distance for the cup it's called distance between edge (DBE) and is very variable. It takes into consideration what distance the door opens (95, 110, 125, 170 degrees), the door thickness, and the gap you want between the door and the stile. For the ones I routinely use I bought a little plastic template that lines them right up.

For the mounting plate you can guesstimate that by closing the hinge and holding it so the cup is sitting on the stile. That'll show you how far back the mounting clip should be. Again, I don't have specific numbers because I also have a plastic template for this as well.

Be well,

Doc