PDA

View Full Version : Nail Gun Accidents (* X-rays *) (Chicken Version)

David DeCristoforo
04-24-2008, 8:23 PM
Regarding the thread titled "Nail Gun Accidents (* X-rays *)"... I don't even want to look....
http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/chicken.gif

Don Abele
04-24-2008, 8:50 PM
David, the pics are really not that gory...no blood, no flesh, just a bunch of nekid bones with nails in them.

I was surprised to see the thread pop back up since I posted it like 4 years ago. You all can thank Chris for that. But his point should be well taken. Occasionally we need a reminder to be safe. Just like when someone posts the nasty belly bruise from the latest kickback.

In the Navy when we start having a trend of accidents we conduct a "safety stand down" We stop all work and review all the applicable operating and safety procedures. In brings us all back to the same page and hopefully back to a more safety conscious mind. When something becomes so routine that we are doing it instinctively instead of through thought, that's when accidents occur.

Like I tell my Sailors (and my kids): "ALWAYS think before you act."

Stay safe...

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2008, 8:54 PM
David,

Photos I would not want to look at.....Patients I wouldn't want to look at.....x-ray....... Hey! They are just shades of grey!

Peter Quinn
04-24-2008, 9:05 PM
I've seen both versions and David's is much more humorous.

I can't help thinking after hearing the description of how the 'head shots' occurred and reading that no permanent brain damage ensued, that perhaps the majority of the brain damage had already occurred before these accident victims pulled their triggers thus making a base line diagnosis difficult.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone injured by a nail gun that wasn't doing something very stupid, or working near someone else very stupid. I have great respect for all my nail guns but the framer gets particular attention on my part. The one that really scares me is the powder actuated gun...but at least they don't make those with a bump fire!

Don Abele
04-24-2008, 9:13 PM
Peter, I've never heard of or treated any injuries related to a powder actuated gun, but I've had the bejesus scared out of my by one.

About 10 years ago I lived in Maine and was using the kind that you manually load and hit with a hammer. I was tacking a 2x6 sill plate to concrete using 3" nails. I hit it and I thought it exploded because it shoved be back (gracefully knocking me onto my posterior) and man did my arm hurt. I looked down, all was normal, including the gun. I looked at the hole, no nail...lot's of chipped concrete though under the 2x6. The nail was stuck about 3/8" into the overhead plywood. I had hit a steel plate that was embedded in the concrete :eek: Boy that was fun.

Be well,

Doc

David DeCristoforo
04-25-2008, 9:56 AM
"I can't help thinking after hearing the description of how the 'head shots' occurred and reading that no permanent brain damage ensued, that perhaps the majority of the brain damage had already occurred before these accident victims pulled their triggers thus making a base line diagnosis difficult."

LOL. Do any of you guys remember the story that was "in the news" some years ago about a guy who fell of a scaffold and landed on a concrete footing with a piece of rebar stuck through his head? According to the story, the rescue crew had to cut the rebar and transport the guy to the hospital with it still sticking out of his forehead, he being conscious the whole time. The piece of rebar was removed and, miraculously, it had managed to completely miss everything vital and there was no "permanent" damage. Later the guy said that the most bizarre thing was the vibration he felt in his head as the rebar was being cut. Oooooo. That's gotta hurt. But I still don't want to see any pictures of it! I "been in de wo" and when "you been in de wo" you have seen enough bloody, mangled and/or impaled body parts to last at least the remainder of one lifetime not to mention what one might see during 35+ years of construction and shop work.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2008, 10:02 AM
" I "been in de wo" and when "you been in de wo" you have seen enough bloody, mangled and/or impaled body parts to last at least the remainder of one lifetime not to mention what one might see during 35+ years of construction and shop work.

David,

I think some of it has to do with aging:o. When I was younger I saw several grotesque accidents and it didn't seem to bother me. The last few years I have happened onto auto accidents and had to provide emergency assistance until rescue personnel arrived. I don't take the same grotesque stuff as well as I used to......especially if the victim is a young person or young adult. :o

Chris Padilla
04-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I was surprised to see the thread pop back up since I posted it like 4 years ago. You all can thank Chris for that. But his point should be well taken. Occasionally we need a reminder to be safe. Just like when someone posts the nasty belly bruise from the latest kickback.

:D Guilty as charged. I can't remember why I came across it (probably searching for something else) but I just had to revive it. :D

David DeCristoforo
04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
"I think some of it has to do with aging..."

Well, I hope it's not that. I'd rather it's just because I'm "chicken"..... Seriously though, I have always been able to handle ugly situations as long as I'm right in the middle of them. I can stay calm and not panic so I'm a good guy to have around in a crisis. We live a half block from an insanely dangerous intersection at which there is at least one nasty collision every couple of months. So I even get some "practice". But after it's over? That's a different story altogether. That's when I "freak out".

Roger Warford
04-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Compassion and empathy are good things, David. I have a BIL who is a paramedic and says "the more messed up they are, the more I like it". :eek::confused: Now THAT I worry about!

Russ Sears
04-25-2008, 12:34 PM
David, the pictures are very benign, just xrays. Having said that, there's no real reason for you to look at them if you don't want to.
The main purpose of my response is to thank you for your service in "de wo".
So.....Thank You!

Jim Dunn
04-25-2008, 8:09 PM
Dave "don't go to the lite", I repeat "don't go to the lite".

Those pictures made my stomach crawl:o