PDA

View Full Version : First Project

Lee Koepke
04-24-2008, 8:06 PM
Well, this is my first "project" .. first furniture type project that is. Its real simple and is designed to hold my laptop next to my recliner. I used Cherry and BLO with schellac. being my first mortice/tenon job, I learned alot. My last joints were better than my first.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/LCKII/Woodworking%20Projects/2008SideTable007.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/LCKII/Woodworking%20Projects/2008SideTable003.jpg

Steve Pirrelli
04-24-2008, 8:14 PM
Nice job ! I love the look of cherry.

Don Bullock
04-24-2008, 8:26 PM
Lee, that is a beautiful table. You did very well. I bet that it feels great to be able to make furniture that looks great like that. Congratulations.:D

Robert Meyer
04-24-2008, 9:18 PM
This is a very nice first project. You have matched the boards well (no easy task with cherry). Pat yourself on the back and listen to the call of all that cherry waiting for you to use it in some new project. Gotta love cherry!

gary Zimmel
04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Lee

Congratulations on the first project. Got to love that feeing when a plan comes together....

George Sanders
04-25-2008, 4:50 AM
I like the simple clean look of it. Well done.

Sam Yerardi
04-25-2008, 6:06 AM
Lee,

Great job!

John Bouthiette
04-25-2008, 6:10 AM
looks terrific, great job

Al Willits
04-25-2008, 7:38 AM
Looks good, great first project.

Al

Lee Koepke
04-25-2008, 8:07 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The key for me on this is twofold, one convincing my wife that all the time I spend in the shop would actually produce results, and two, getting HER to appreciate the beauty of home-made Cherry pieces !!!

Thanks again for looking at my learning curves !!!!

Duncan Potter
04-25-2008, 8:12 AM
Great looking project! I'm still working up to drawers!

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 8:14 AM
Excellent work, Lee!

Ralph Okonieski
04-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Very nicely done !!

John Thompson
04-25-2008, 2:41 PM
Very.. very nice, neighbor... Well Leo.. Looks like you sharpened your chisels with those water stones I gave you when you visited. Now.. could you run up this week-end and sharpen mine before I start a new project on Monday? I didn't think so... but it never hurts to ask! :D

Again... very nicely done as my first project would have been "bush league" compared to yours.

Regards...

Sarge..

Lee Schierer
04-25-2008, 2:50 PM
Nicely done. As it ages it will darken a bit more which will add to the appearance. Nice design and execution. SInce it is new, don't leave your computer sitting on it for long periods of time. Otherewise it may develop a shadow, actually a lack of shadow) where the computer covers it. Give it at least a year before it has objects sitting on it in one place for more than a day or two.

Lee Koepke
04-25-2008, 2:58 PM
Nicely done. As it ages it will darken a bit more which will add to the appearance. Nice design and execution. SInce it is new, don't leave your computer sitting on it for long periods of time. Otherewise it may develop a shadow, actually a lack of shadow) where the computer covers it. Give it at least a year before it has objects sitting on it in one place for more than a day or two.
excellent point.

the laptop fits on the middle shelf, and its only there in the evenings, but stuff usu clutters on top, so I will have to watch that for awhile.

Gary Lange
04-25-2008, 6:17 PM
I hope when I finally get to building my first project that it comes out as well as yours. If it does I will a happy man.

John Michaels
04-25-2008, 8:57 PM
How come your thread got moved?

John Thompson
04-25-2008, 9:26 PM
How come your thread got moved?

SMC just added a separate Gallery which is under Finished Projects and Leo's thread is just that. An excellent thing as I have obviously missed many finished products as I can't spend a tremendous amount of time on the computer.

You can post a thread and it be on page 3 with all the post at a large site as this. Some of us don't have time to go back and hunt for particular things as Finished product. This way.. I can go there and see them isolated even if I missed them in haste without having to wade through a zillion Which Router is best or left-right tilt threads to find them.

Thats a plus for me as I already have a router or three and made the decision on left-rigth tilt long ago. :D

Sarge..

Matt Wibbenmeyer
04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Lee--How did you stain this? I'm working on a cherry chest of drawers right now, and I like the natural look you accomplished here.

Lee Koepke
04-28-2008, 8:56 PM
Lee--How did you stain this? I'm working on a cherry chest of drawers right now, and I like the natural look you accomplished here.
I used a couple of applications of Boiled Linseed Oil and spray shellac.

The first coat of BLO I kept the wood wet for about 20 minutes to allow it to soak into the grain, wipe off excess real good. Let dry for 2 days. The next coat was 'rubbed' in with 400 grit sandpaper, let that dry for a day.

Spray can of shellac to seal it up ... I know this isnt exactly like others do, but for me ( and especially the top piece of cherry ) I needed the extra oil to better identify the grain. Its worked for me on maple before, and worked pretty good on this piece.

I got lucky with the grain of the wood too, I was able to pick out some decent grain because the pieces were pretty small.

Raymond Fries
05-05-2008, 4:38 PM
I love the grain on the top the best. Nice choice...

Brent Ring
05-05-2008, 7:02 PM
Beautiful - I wish my first was that nice!

Dave MacArthur
05-06-2008, 4:04 AM
Well done work, I love cherry. Decent figure on the top too--great first project!