PDA

View Full Version : Cooperstown pilgrims take note

Mike Heaney
04-24-2008, 5:52 PM
In seeing another post about museums elsewhere that reminded me of something that I meant to post a little while ago.

I guess some of you are baseball fans and will be heading to our fair village this summer. I wanted to let you know that you shouldn't restrict your visit to the baseball hall of fame and the memorabilia stores in main street. The Fenimore Art Museum at the edge of the village is running a Gustav Stickley retrospective through until August 10th this summer. They have more than 40 original pieces on display, some in room settings to mimic their original intended environment.
More details at
http://www.fenimoreartmuseum.org/node/1055

best wishes

Mike

Mike SoRelle
04-24-2008, 7:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion to get rid of the wife/daughter for a few hours... so when's your shop tour? :D

As many times as I've wound up in NYC, I've yet to visit anywhere else in the state. (unless driving south out of the state on the turnpike trying to stay ahead of a blizzard counts)

Mike

Rick Moyer
04-24-2008, 8:10 PM
NYC is NOT like New York state, much like Philadelphia is NOT like Pennsylvania. ( I have not yet been to the baseball hall of fame: my sister has, twice) but upstate New York is very pretty, adirondacks, etc. You should check out the are some time.

Brian Loucks
04-24-2008, 8:36 PM
As Rick said, NYC is NOT like NY State! Upstate NY is a different world from NYC.
Nothing against NYC, but if you like trees, lakes and lots of green come visit us.
If you ever get to Cooperstown, stop by the local pharmacy on main st, (there's only one and you can walk the length of main st in about 10 minutes). I'm the gray beard behind the pharmacy counter, usually shooting the breeze with a customer.
Don't forget to visit the Farmer's Museum. Lots of really neat Neanderthal stuff goes on there.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2008, 8:40 PM
Folks...I live in Idaho. I have traveled to most of the states in the lower 48 EXCEPT those in the upper Northeast. A few years ago on the first vacation the LOML and I had ever taken by ourselves, I took the LOML a rabid baseball fan to Cooperstown. The Baseballl Hall of Fame is worth the trip. I'll go again tomorrow if the opportunity arises. But I had never been to upstate NY or NYC as a matter of fact. This country boy because of his profession has worked in most of the major ciites in this country except a few.....NYC and Miami are two of them. My biggest scare when I surprised the LOML was that Cooperstown would be like NYC. As pretty as Idaho is, the areas of and around Cooperstown are just as pretty in their own rights. The only fear that I found in Cooperstown was that I couldn't afford to live there. Beautiful village....gorgeous country. A word of advice....if they still have the parking lots on the edge of town and the trolley system....use it! When the signs in front of stores downtown say "Parking limit XX minutes. Violators will be towed." They mean it. I can read and parked in a parking lot, bought a $1 ticket and rode the trolley all day long. I saw a fleet of tow vehicles and they were making money on the main street there. But.....Beautiful country. You can stand on the front steps of the BBHOF and look across a pretty city park IIRC and watch people water skiing on a glacial lake ....again IIRC. Beautiful area!

Mike SoRelle
04-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh, I know 'the city' is it's own place so to speak (much like other major cities, I was born and raised in Houston, and it's not representative of Texas as a whole either) same for Los Angeles, etc.

It just took this post to realize that in the dozens of trips I've made over the years to NYC and quite a few to Piscataway I'd never gone anywhere else in the state. (and after Piscataway, I didn't really *want* to explore jersey much further :) )

Some day I'll get up there, I'd like to see the falls too.

When I do, I'll definately stop in Brian

Mike