PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Cordial Bowl

Jon Lanier
04-24-2008, 5:12 PM
Walnut 6 1/8" x 1 3/4".

Here is a bowl I used to with my "Cherry Cordial" treatment. A mixture of Aniline Dye of Cardinal Red with a touch of Black Dye. Tung Oil, 3 coats with Steel Wooled inbetween and then Buffed with Carnuba Wax.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3392/cherrycordialbowl2gs9.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/766/cherrycordialbowl1zn7.jpg

curtis rosche
04-24-2008, 5:24 PM
it looks good. almost seems like sacralige to do that to walnut though

Matt Hutchinson
04-24-2008, 6:17 PM
Wow, I like it. I am really surprised at how much that color came through on walnut. Good stuff!

Hutch

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2008, 6:38 PM
Nice looking bowl Jon - very intense color! Makes me wonder just how bright it would have been on maple or oak! Always nice to see things get changed up a little!

Jon Lanier
04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Nice looking bowl Jon - very intense color! Makes me wonder just how bright it would have been on maple or oak! Always nice to see things get changed up a little!

Steve,

I am going to try it on both. Just a matter of time. I've been trying to learn how to do decent 'sunburst' pattern on flat maple, hopefully if I get it... I'm going to try to transfer it over to bowls. I had seen some work like that at the Artistry in Wood show back in the winter.

-Jon

Alan Tolchinsky
04-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Jon, I think that color is nice! I get tired of using the same wood (maple, walnut, etc.) and this is a good way to change that. You know people that make clay pottery mostly use a lot of color paints in their work so why shouldn't we?

David Newson
04-25-2008, 3:44 AM
Jon - It has made the wood look real exotic and such a bright colour as well, it has really transformed the walnut wood, another interesting idea and look forward to seeing more of your experiments on different wood in particular pale woods, thanks for sharing.

David

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2008, 8:10 AM
Wow Jon that is a beauty. It really does look like some exotic wood. Well done.

Scott Hubl
04-25-2008, 8:13 AM
Looks good Jon,
Did you dye it two seperate times or just add a touch on black dye to the red then dye the piece?