PDA

View Full Version : Hollow form recommendations

Alan Tolchinsky
04-24-2008, 5:03 PM
Hi All,

I've mostly done bowls up to this point in my turning "career". I'd like to get into hollow forms especially after seeing Steve's work. So how best to get started? What tools should I get and which projects should a beginner hollow turner tackle? Thanks in advance for any info. Alan

Curt Fuller
04-24-2008, 6:34 PM
I still do my hollowing the hard way, with hand tools..mostly bent scrapers. But those new laser guided articulated hollowing tools that I've seen popping up everywhere look like the ticket to me. The captive systems look good too. Either would be better than getting beat up doing it by hand. As for a beginner project, I'd suggest you start with something with a fairly wide opening, more of a closed rim bowl. That way you can see what's going on and get the feel of how the tools like to cut and what they don't like.

Richard Madison
04-24-2008, 7:51 PM
Alan,
This was my first hf, 6-1/2" dia. and 5" high plus finial, done with home-made straight boring bar and Hunter tool, through a 2" opening. Have done several slightly smaller pieces through a 1-1/2" opening, but that's about my limit with home-made tools at present.

Edit: Picture will not upload.

Steve Kubien
04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Alan, I would recommend Lyle Jamieson's dvd on the subject. You can probably get it from Packard or from Lyle hinself (lylejamieson.com). Really easy to follow and so far, I really like his captive system.

Take care,
Steve Kubien
P.S. He's in Hawaii until May 3rd or so so if you don't hear back from him, you'll know why.

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 2:02 PM
Just have-at-it. I recommend end-grain orientation and typical scraper-derived hollowing tools. Although I'm a committed captive hollowing system turner, I will always suggest that one learns to do this manually first to best understand the dynamics. Whatever tool you choose should be well balanced so that the cutter tip remains on the centerline of the tool even if it's a "bent" type. You need two tools...a straight one and a curved one. If you stick with small forms for now, you can get smaller tools that you'll continue to use even if you move to a captive system later.

robert hainstock
04-25-2008, 6:20 PM
My first attempt at HFing was a maple burl. I used Elsworth tools for it. I made a two inch opening in the most difficult thing to do was to hold the angle tool in place. Torque wants to jerk it down. The capture rigs do not have this problem because of the machining. It is much easier to control. I have had the privilrdge of watching Steve S use his, and it greatly surpasses what I was ab;e to do free hand. :)
Bob

Alan Tolchinsky
04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks all for the ideas. I have so much to learn about this.