PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Out Font

James & Zelma Litzmann
04-24-2008, 5:02 PM
Can someone jog my memory? When trying to cut out font like the name of a business, isn't there a way to lock the letters together so it cuts out whole and not each letter???

Thanks for any help.

Frank Corker
04-24-2008, 5:10 PM
Highlight and then choose effects from the dropdown and then create boundary. As soon as you have done it the letters will be locked and there will be a hairline edge around the letters.

Darren Null
04-25-2008, 4:04 AM
If you do it that way, it doesn't cut out the middle of 'a's and 'o's etc. You have to:

(a) do it manually or
(b) leave your original graphic there so it burns but doesn't cut, so you can see the middle bits or
(c) if it's a scripty font where the letters touch, you can:
----(1) select your word
----(2) ARRANGE --> CONVERT TO CURVES
----(3) ARRANGE --> SHAPING --> WELD

EDIT: Attached boundary & welded comparison grafix

Rodne Gold
04-25-2008, 6:04 AM
You have to either manually kern the letters to touch and then convert to curves, weld and cut , use the node tool and pick the text to get to kerning.
Or you can create an outline of sufficient offset that the letters are joined and then weld
Or you can draw a small rectangle under the letters and weld it to the letters
Sometimes only the bar method works and even then , you can see the dot on the i of melvins wont "join"

Darren Null
04-25-2008, 6:32 AM
Or you can create an outline of sufficient offset that the letters are joined and then weld
Ooh yeah, forgot about that. As a variation on a theme, you can also leave your original letters inside, set to burn but not cut so you end up with your word inside a blobby cut out outline

Vicky Orsini
04-25-2008, 6:44 AM
Would it work for you if you created an outline around the whole word, break it apart so the outline now stands alone, and then turn the outline into a cut line? I think this would work if you were rastering the name into the material first. What kind of material are you working with, out of curiosity?

James & Zelma Litzmann
04-25-2008, 1:14 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think maybe I am in over my head and maybe this is something I need to really study. Nothing I've tried has really worked.

Thanks everyone, it's not your suggestions or should I say the teacher, it's the student.

Rodne Gold
04-25-2008, 1:44 PM
Show us exactly what you want to achieve , perhaps a cdr with the font converted to curves and let us see whether we can find a solution

James & Zelma Litzmann
05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Rodney,

I meant to get back to this but it is the name of our business and I know that is a no no, so I just didn't know how to respond. Thank you all for your help and your time.

Scott Shepherd
05-19-2008, 1:12 PM
I think you'd be fine posting the name of your business in a file as a cdr so someone can help you. It's not like you are advertising, you're asking for help with a file.

Maybe Mike or Joe can clarify.