PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi Lithium Ion 18V Single Batteries

Lance Norris
04-24-2008, 3:27 PM
Ryobi recently came out with Lithium Ion batteries for their One Plus line of home cordless tools. The new battery is backwards compatible with the older tools. The Li-ion batteries were only available in kits with tools, or as an upgrade kit with one battery and the new style charger, needed for the Li-ion battery. Now, I see in the 2008 Ryobi online catalog, the Li-ion battery is available for sale by itself, without the charger. Has anyone seen just the battery for sale in the US yet? I bought the drill/flashlight combo to get 2 of these batteries and they are far superior to the Ni-cad batteries that the older One Plus tools were originally designed for. I want a couple more of the Li-ion batteries. Thanks.

J. Z. Guest
04-24-2008, 4:53 PM
I've been keeping my eyes peeled too, Lance. For now, I settled for a pair of the NiCd packs, as they work out to only $20 a pop. True, they don't have the shelf life of the Li-Ion. But they work better in the cold and they aren't made of unobtainium.

I've been using the NiCd as main batteries, since they don't have as much storage life, and when I burn them down and they're on the charger, I reach for the LiIon.

If you haven't considered any of the other One+ tools, have a good look. Their impact driver is brilliant, as is the inflator and shop vac. The dustbuster is all but useless. The radio is nice & compact but not very loud and monoral sound. The jigsaw doesn't have the guts to use its orbital settings past #1, but it is very nice not to deal with a cord during scroll cuts. It isn't at all in the same class as a high-end AC powered one though.

Lance Norris
04-24-2008, 5:19 PM
Jeremy... I have quite a few of the One+ tools. Several you didnt mention I have, so I will comment. I have the circular saw. Its excellent. I use it to cut boards down to the length of my Dodge Dakotas 6~1/2' bed. It works like a dream. Many cuts on one charge. I have the 10" chain saw. At first I wasnt too thrilled with it, because I am used to my old Craftsman electric, that cuts like you wouldnt believe an electric chain saw would. The Ryobi doesnt develop the chain speed that the Craftsman does, but I just cut down a dead maple in my back yard with both saws and the Ryobi kept right up and ran all day on one battery. I have more respect for it now. I also have the right angle drill and its great also. You mentioned the shopvac. I just bought one and I like it. It doesnt have quite the power of a corded one, but its nice not to be dragging around a cord. I would recommend it. The "dustbuster" isnt all that great, and that surprises me. Oh well. I have the radio and the fan. Both are ok... the radio isnt a boombox, but I didnt expect it to be. The audio input is nice as is the backlit display. The fan, I havent made up my mind about yet. It does put out a breeze, but not like some I have seen in the same size, but again, its battery operated and thats great.