PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it

John Piwaron
03-31-2004, 11:14 PM
I keep reading comments and remarks (elsewhere) about using the Delta tenoning jig and competing products.

Well, I built a pair of jigs that are guided by my fence. One cuts the cheeks, and the other cuts them the short way. They work like a charm. Yes, the size of the parts that can be cut is limited by the size of the jigs and the available height over the saw (~4' for me).

Since we're in a woodworking hobby, or perhaps earning our daily bread from this, why wouldn't one build their own? Or does a commercially built jig do something I'm unaware of?

Jim Becker
03-31-2004, 11:31 PM
Excellent post, John. In general, it would be nice if we all created any and all the jigs, fixtures and shop accomodations ourselfs. Some folks do. Some of us try to when we can.

But there is also the trade-off on time for building these versus the time to work on "end-use" projects. And then there is the terrific marketing for gadgets that makes it look like you can't even walk through the door of your shop if you don't own them. In fact, not long ago I was "abused" by a router table manufacturer (privately, fortunately) for having the gall to suggest in a forum that everyone really should build their own router table. This fellow insisted that his products were so much better than any of us could build. (Bogus, IMHO) Unfortunately, he also missed the point about such projects being educational, satisfying and experiential...something that everyone needs in a project, especially new woodworkers. He also missed my point in the original post about building the table/cabinet and equipping it with his (or similar) fine products to raise and lower the router, etc. Phooy on him!

And I think that building a tenoning jig is also a great project...;)

Brian Shutter
04-01-2004, 9:59 AM
John

I have the Delta tenoning jig and use it quite a bit. It does what I want it to do and is well made and accurate. The most important aspect of buying the jig when I did (at the beginning of my woodworking "career") is that I was very certain it would function well and do what it was designed to do and it would most likely do its job right out of the box. The Delta jig has the ability to make angled tenons both in both the x and y planes (I hope I got that right). This doesn't mean that a shop built jig can't have the same features.

However, now that I've been working wood for many years I understand wood and joints better I can see clearly enough to design and build my own jigs. In fact, I think the tenoning jig is the only jig I have ever bought but it is also used almost on a daily basis so I think the money was well spent.

I would love to see some pics of your jigs.

Brian

I keep reading comments and remarks (elsewhere) about using the Delta tenoning jig and competing products.

Well, I built a pair of jigs that are guided by my fence. One cuts the cheeks, and the other cuts them the short way. They work like a charm. Yes, the size of the parts that can be cut is limited by the size of the jigs and the available height over the saw (~4' for me).

Since we're in a woodworking hobby, or perhaps earning our daily bread from this, why wouldn't one build their own? Or does a commercially built jig do something I'm unaware of?

Mark Singer
04-01-2004, 10:14 AM
I agree...there are so many gagets that help you do so many things that they keep you from thinking about being creative...it is better to figure things out yourself. For example the are so many expensive devices fot setting the fence parallel to the blade/miter slot on a table saw...a simple digital caliper ($25) will do a better job and tell you the height of your router bit/depth of a mortise and countless other things. I make all my specialty jigs for hand router work ...mortises etc. A little secret though...I do own th Delta tenoning jig...oh well

Donnie Raines
04-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Heck, why do you even need a jig at all?? I slap a dado set in the saw and cut the cheeks and shoulders.....never had a problem yet. Plus,it is verryyy quick. I would even argue that the shoulders are cleaner then that of those cut on a jig....at least in my experience.

But, in principle...I agree 100% with you. Build your own shop stuff. you will save big bucks and the lessons learned can be applied to the items the jig's are intended to help you make.

DonnieR

Gary Hoemann
04-01-2004, 11:09 AM
I made my own tenoning jig partly because the commercial ones I liiked at would not handle stock as big as required for the Morris chair I was building. Now I would like to make one with a micro adjust--anybody know a good plan?

David Klug
04-01-2004, 11:25 AM
I made my own tenoning jig partly because the commercial ones I liiked at would not handle stock as big as required for the Morris chair I was building. Now I would like to make one with a micro adjust--anybody know a good plan?

Gary, I don't know what your tenoning jig looks like but the one I built fits over the Vega fence that I have. The fence has a micro adjusting knob so it is easy to make adjustments with it. Perhaps this will give you an idea about how you might modify your jig.

DK

JayStPeter
04-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I think I'm the opposite of most. I tend to make my jigs first. Many of the commercial jigs I own, I bought after determining what I wanted in a more universal jig. I'll admit the tennoning jig is an exception. Bought it pretty early on.
I recently bought a Jointech SmartMiter. I bought it for accuracy and repeatability. In order to get those traits, I found I had made a few task specific TS sleds. Hopefully, the Jointech will take up less space and give me similar results. Plus, I won't have to expend the effort to make a task specific sled on the next project that needs one. I'll still keep some of my homemade sleds made for dealing with larger panels (at least until I can get a slider ;) )
The same goes for my router table. I made two very basic router tables before designing and building my current one. I have built 4 or 5 different fences before buying one. I determined the traits I wanted, found a product that replaced most of my dedicated fences, and got it. I definitely have no regrets about anything I've built myself. Don't know if I can say that about every gadget I've bought.

Jay

Chris Padilla
04-01-2004, 12:03 PM
I like the idea of building my own jigs but I often don't have time.

Should I spend my precious after the real job hours and even more precious weekends building jigs or should I build the project and get it done?

It is a tough choice and to that end, I have bought most of the stuff/jigs/gadgets I need and only make fairly simple, quick jigs.

However, after seeing a lot of the jigs I've bought, I've been disappointed at times in myself that I could have saved money and learned something from making my own. However, however, now that I see how some of these jigs are built, I have been more inclined to put some time into more elaborate/time-consuming jigs.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-01-2004, 1:15 PM
I have to disagree with some of the previous posts.

I bought my Delta jig a few years ago after 30 years in woodworking. I used a shop made jig for several years and there were several things I didn't like about it.

You adjusted the tablesaw fence to change the size of the cheek. It wasn't particularly precise and the knob adjustment on the Delta is very precise. I didn't have a built in clamp to hold the workpiece securely, the Delta does. I couldn't make angled tenons in my jig without a lot of shimming. The delta is easy to adjust for different angles.

I don't work in any real systematic way so I'd end up installing and removing the dado blade several times during a project. I can just slide the jig into the miter slot when I need it. Also, my dado blade doesn't make the cheeks as smooth as a sawblade does.

I'm not sure I see the connection between buying jigs and creativity. I think I have a lot of creativity when it comes to designing projects and I have bought several jigs. I also build my own when I can build one that does everything I want it to do.

Tim Morton
04-01-2004, 2:38 PM
And sometimes we beginning woodwookers just don't know HOW to build a jig, and wehen i chose to sped 60 bucks this week on a woodcraft jig, 2 things came into play...actually 10 things...MY FINGERS. thought it might be safer to spend the 60 bucks than to risk much pain!!

Ed Falis
04-01-2004, 9:53 PM
I really don't want to understand the psychology of people who bitch about how other people spend their money - it's just too damned passive-aggressive.

That isn't to say I haven't gotten caught up in it myself now and then.

Making your own saves money and teaches sometimes - at the expense of time.

Buying saves time and teaches sometimes - at the expense of money.

It's an individual tradeoff - respect others' decisions about their own lives.

(And no, I'm not someone with a lot of bucks to toss around).

- Ed

John Weber
04-01-2004, 10:11 PM
John,

It's a hobby and people explore it differently. The tenon jigs are popular and work well, to build a jig with the same features might take a couple evenings. I'm not a big jig builder, but do what is necessary. I enjoy making machine modifactions, but many times it's just easier and faster to buy a jig, especially when they work as well as the tenon jigs.

John

John Piwaron
04-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I really don't want to understand the psychology of people who bitch about how other people spend their money - it's just too damned passive-aggressive.

That isn't to say I haven't gotten caught up in it myself now and then.

Making your own saves money and teaches sometimes - at the expense of time.

Buying saves time and teaches sometimes - at the expense of money.

It's an individual tradeoff - respect others' decisions about their own lives.

(And no, I'm not someone with a lot of bucks to toss around).

- Ed

What's passive/aggressive about it? The only times I see people remarking on a newsgroup about the Delta jig, it appears they're making plain 'ol tenons.

I don't care what other people spend their money on. Hell, it helps keep Delta in business - that's a good thing.

I woodwork as a hobby, time is on my side. And it took me one evening to make two jigs - one for cheek cuts, one for the short way. I obviously intend them to put a tenon centered on the board. That's it - a couple of hours and now they're with me for life.

It was just *so* easy, I was wondering why I'd want to buy one. Perhaps there was something I was missing. Maybe it did more than what I currently do. Apparently it does, but I'm not hearing anything that's going to make me go out and buy one.

In case you get the idea I don't buy factory made jigs, I do have a Leigh D4. Now there's a good reason to spend money. IMO.

I'd just rather spend the money on the wood (expensive, that stuff is) than a shop full of special purpose jigs. Remember, my opinion, it's what works for me.

Bruce Page
04-01-2004, 10:22 PM
I really don't want to understand the psychology of people who bitch about how other people spend their money - it's just too damned passive-aggressive.- Ed
I agree with Ed 100%. I buy most of my jigs and I build some jigs - that does not make me any more, or any less of a woodworker. I don’t feel like I need to prove anything to myself or to anyone that might come into my shop. What someone does with their time & money is none of my business and vice-versa.

Tom Peterson
04-02-2004, 9:29 PM
John,
I'll let you know, I ordered one along with my Unisaw that will be in SE Wisconsin this coming Wednesday. I like to tinker, but usually barely have time to make the projects I have. For $85 to get the tenon jig seemed like money well spent.

Ed Falis
04-03-2004, 11:15 AM
I'd just rather spend the money on the wood (expensive, that stuff is) than a shop full of special purpose jigs. Remember, my opinion, it's what works for me.

You're right, John (and I apologize for the tone of my comments - you didn't deserve it).

I probably have more homemade jigs than store-bought myself.

- Ed

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2004, 10:00 AM
John,
Buy 'em or build as the need dictates.

A few years ago I needed a bunch of 12" 2x4 wedges to raise and support the roof of my carport while I replaced the existing undersized header. I built a jig that worked on both sides of my t/s and produced those wedges.

I have built a tenoning jig....but to reduce time spent building it, it would only work on 2x4s.

This week while visiting in San Antonio, I would have bought a Delta tenoning jig at Woodcraft but it would have made my baggage overweight at the airport. Why reinvent the wheel? I'll order it online instead.