PDA

View Full Version : Strip Kayak Kit First timer

Travis Gauger
04-24-2008, 1:29 PM
So I had a regular customer of mine ask if I would be interested in assembling his strip built kayak kit for him. He purchased the kit about 2 years ago and has never had the time to get to it. He wants the kayak but without the labor. He is willing to pay for the labor though and that is when I came into the story.

I don't know much about building kayaks, I'm a furniture guy. I love the idea of doing it, Looks neat. What does everyone think, should I jump into this? the job would be a labor only style job as the kit is complete and I have no way to quote this for the guy. I'm OK with that if it gets me a little experience. I just don't know what it takes to put one of these things together.

So let me know your thoughts, I'm very interested.

Marc Martindale
04-24-2008, 8:23 PM
I started a canoe from just plans bought from Newfound Woodworks. I had virtually no woodworking experience, but found it quite fun and easy. I was nervous about the fiberglassing part, but if you're into furniture your probably more familiar with the finishing aspects. I was about 1/3 done (they claim about 200 hours) and had trouble with my shoulder, and paused for the winter. I never got to the fiberglassing. A kit eliminates alot of boring work; like cutting and milling hundreds of strips.

Unfortunately I lost interest in it after that due to the vortex of wood turning. I had to get it out of the way, so I cut it in 1/2 and saved the pieces to make 2 of those upright boat shelves later. If I had room I would have kept it and finished it sometime.

Canoecraft is a book that describes the stripbuilding process for canoes and I believe there is a sister book about kayaks. Newfound Woodworks has some resources online too. I'm sure you'll enjoy the project and are fully capable of doing it.

Kevin Groenke
04-24-2008, 9:38 PM
I've built a strip canoe and helped a few others. Not a difficult project, but time consuming. The kit would help, but it's still going to be ALOT of time. I haven't worked on one, but it is my impression that details are a bit more finicky on kayaks, glassing the interior has got to be a pain in the neck.

If well done, they are beautiful objects.

I'd estimate I spent ~150 hrs on the 17' canoe I built, mostly in pretty short sessions.

~150hrs x X$/hr = what's it worth to you?

I've thought about building a kayak or another canoe for myself, I don't think I could find anybody willing to pay what I would charge for making one.

-kg

Travis Gauger
04-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for sharing guys. I think that I am going to try to pull this off. I will update as I start and work through it.

Tom Wakeley
04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
One of my pals has built four kayaks from kits purchased someplace in New Hampshire. He told me it takes about 200 hours each. He is a retired illustrator and artist and his kayaks reflect his mastery of art. He fiberglassed dried leaves on the front deck of one and the leaves look like they had just fallen there. Beautiful! He was offered $8,000 plus a week in a condo for his wife and himself for one and he refused the offer. He has no plans to sell any of them. He likes to look at and paddle them.

Jim Creech
04-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Pictures Tom! We must have pictures!

Kurt Loup
04-30-2008, 9:12 AM
Travis,

Smartflix.com has the Newfound Woodworks dvds on stripping and fiberglassing for rent.

Kurt

Travis Gauger
04-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Travis,

Smartflix.com has the Newfound Woodworks dvds on stripping and fiberglassing for rent.

Kurt

That is some good info there. I'm signing up in 2 minutes. Thanks a bunch for this!

Dave Lehnert
04-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Bump back to the top for discussion.

Did you attempt to build and how was the experience?

john lampros
12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
I am also a furniture guy and had no experience in boat building but after returning from Alaska on a kayak trip I decided to build one from a kit. It wasnt very difficult at all and it came out so beautiful. I had to sell it when I moved and regretted it ever since but I will build another, once I get a shop up and running. All my tools are in storage since I'm currently living in a 3 floor apt. Build it. then when your done you can make one for your self.