PDA

View Full Version : G0458 18" open end sanded

Cary Falk
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
There have been some old threads about this but I have not seen any updates as to whether the people that have bought then like them. I am going to look at one tomorrow from Craig's list. It is slightly used in mint condition with some sandpaper for $450.

Any input is appreciated. I know the table moves instead of the drum.
Thanks in advance.
Cary

Sander in ?
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g0458.jpg

Byron Trantham
04-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I own one and I like very much. I bought a Delta mobile stand that fits their DJ20 8" jointer and it works well. I originally bought one of those "you add the 2x2 boards" and it just wasn't sturdy enough for this beast. The price you are looking at is a steal! Good luck.

Bob Knodel
04-24-2008, 1:22 PM
If I wasnt going out of town tomorrow morning I would beat you to it!!!! :D Looks like a great deal.

Cary Falk
04-24-2008, 6:10 PM
Byron,
Thanks for the info. I didn't see anything negative about it but didn't really see anything at all. I'm glad to see it is not a lemon.
Bob,
I THINK the deal is sealed. I have made arrangements for the pickup. If f the guy is not a flake and and the sander is as described I will be posting gloat pictures tomorrow. I am surprised nobody else had jumped on this. I rarely see something like this in this area.

Thanks for the input.
Cary

Bob Knodel
04-24-2008, 6:48 PM
Bob,
I THINK the deal is sealed. I have made arrangements for the pickup. If f the guy is not a flake and and the sander is as described I will be posting gloat pictures tomorrow. I am surprised nobody else had jumped on this. I rarely see something like this in this area.

Thanks for the input.
Cary

I have been looking for one for awhile but I think if I buy one more big $ tool this month I can forget about my anniversary weekend and make it a solo weekend.:p Hope it works out for you!

Cary Falk
04-26-2008, 2:49 AM
Well it is official. The sander is siting in my garage. I just got done unloading it at 00:30 this morning. The previous owner works graveyard and lives out in the Gorge so we agreed to meet on his way to work and do the deal. I am so excited that I unloaded out of my truck myself. :eek:. This thing is a tank and is in as good of condition as you could ask for being about 2 years old. Price was $450.:D He said he got many calls after me.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0108.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0106.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0107.jpg

Curt Harms
04-26-2008, 7:31 AM
I own a Performax and use it more than I'd have thought. Really useful for squirrely grained stock. I trust You have good dust collection. Being occasionally absent-minded, I once started to sand a piece with the DC hose hooked up but with the DC not turned on. NOT a good idea:o. Took about 5 seconds to reduce the visibility in the shop quite a bit.

Curt

Cary Falk
04-26-2008, 9:26 AM
I own a Performax and use it more than I'd have thought. Really useful for squirrely grained stock. I trust You have good dust collection. Being occasionally absent-minded, I once started to sand a piece with the DC hose hooked up but with the DC not turned on. NOT a good idea:o. Took about 5 seconds to reduce the visibility in the shop quite a bit.

Curt

It has it's own blower and bag. I have no idea what particle size the bag is rated at. I also have a Jet 1100A which I will more than likely use.

Cary Falk
04-28-2008, 9:14 AM
I had a hour to play with the sander yesterday. I went through the manual and did all of the lubing it calls for. I don't know if the previous owner kept up with it. It is in great condition so I don't think it was used hard. I thought I would give a mini review for people considering this sander. I would like to say a couple of things before I list some pros and cons.
1) I have very little experience with drum sanders. I have not played with the Jet or Delta.
2) This sander came from a guitar maker(that might say something right there. He is quiting due to some wrist hand issues non related) so it is tuned up pretty well so i can't comment on trying to tune it.

Pros
1. This thing is built like a tank. The manual says 300lbs compared to the Delta at 190lbs and the Jet at 160lbs.
2. It runs very smooth and quietly(I guess that is realitive but could easily run at night with my dust collector with no neighbor issues)
3. Very little Plastic. Kudos to Grizzly on this one. In this day and age where so much plastic is used, I could only find about 3 pieces that were plastic.They are: swich area with the switch and speed control, dust port connection and a squar cap on the top of the sander that I think opens into the dust port chamber thing. The lack of plastic no doubt is the reason for the 300lb weight.
4. There is no vibration. The drum is very stable and doesn't vibrate/bounce.
5. The table evelation crank operates very smoothly(like butta)

Cons(Really minor annoyances)
1. There are about a half a dozen bushings that the manual says have to be oiled daily(if you use it daily). Some of these are behind a screwed on panel and some are awkard to get to. I might have to look at a better oiling apparatis.
2. The sander has it's own blower and bag. The blower is ok but does not get all of the dust. I don't know what the particle size on the bag but I didn't see any dust blowing out the bag but the bag does not inflate enough for the dust to blow through(I'm guessing)Once you hook up a dust collector it gets all of the dust.
3. -----Removed because my used sander did not include the adaptor--------

So all in all I am thrilled with it. I only payed $450 for it but I would not hesitate paying full price for it. I sanded a board that I resawed earlier down to about 1/8 " and it worked flawlessly. I think Grizzly has a winner.The extra 2 inches over the Jet is nice also.

Byron Trantham
04-28-2008, 9:30 AM
Cary,
As I said in an earlier post, I own one and mine came with an adapter for the blower port that allows to connect a 4" DC connector. I use one of those 4" quick connects and its great. The adapter is plastic and bolts directly onto the port. I bet if you called Grizzly they might give you one. If not, its worth the price. I tried to look up the part number for you but its not in the manual - too new I guess. If you've ever seen a DeWalt 735 planer output port, the Grizzly is the same type.

Cary Falk
04-28-2008, 9:41 AM
Thanks Byron. I will have to give them a call and take that line off my con list.

Miroslav Straka
02-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Reading through the posts I found several queries about extension tables for sanders, saws or planers.
I thought that I would share my idea on how I made extensions for recently purchased Grizzly G0458 18" Open End Drum Sander (http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-Open-End-Drum-Sander/G0458).
As soon as I got the machine, I realized that some kind of extension tables would be very helpful.
The problem was that this machine has no in-feed or out-feed table where any extension could be attached. Further more, the machine table with feeding belt moves up and down and needs to be micro adjusted for each pass, so to simply add any kind of fixed table or rollers was out of the question.

After careful examination of the construction of the machine I came up with a solution how to attach extensions that moves with the machine table as it is adjusted and are removable within seconds without any tools. For material, I used an old bed frame, piece of plywood and used rollers that I bought on EBay.
The rollers could be skipped if you want to go really simple. You could use the same system of attachment for other machine where an extension is needed and needs to be removable and move up and down as machine gets adjusted for thickness.
Here are some pictures.

Paul Johnstone
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Reading through the posts I found several queries about extension tables for sanders, saws or planers

Nice idea and implementation. Thanks.