PDA

View Full Version : glue up ? for laminate Pepper mill

John Nowack
04-24-2008, 12:38 PM
http://sierra-pepper-mills.tripod.com/creating.html

I should have never cheated on the math and geo test in gradeschool but, what's done is done. I can not figure this out for the life of me, If you click on the link and look a the glue up, it appears that all you have to do is glue up a 3" rectangle--cut it in half diagonaly--flip it around some way and glue it back up---what am I missing??--How do you get the boards to allign differntly and still in up with a rectagle blank?
:confused:

David Eppler
04-24-2008, 1:19 PM
After cutting the rectangular block you will have 2 triangles. If you glue the original outside edges together (thin end of one to thick end of the other) you should end up with this configuration.

I have not actually done this, but that is how it looks to me.

Matt Hutchinson
04-24-2008, 1:19 PM
Imagine you've already glues up the first blank. You take it to the bandsaw and cut it from corner to corner, leaving two wedges. Let's call the bandsawed surface the inside. Now, all you have to do is pick one up and place the two outsidesurfaces together. This is your new glue up, outside to outside. And no, the end will not be perfectly square.

Hutch

John Nowack
04-24-2008, 1:52 PM
it sounds that easy but when you actualy do it it does not wor--if you cut from corner to corner and flip from thin tip to thick tip you end up with a diamond or Kite shape. What you are saying is how I thought it would work would work but that is only if it were a perfect sqaure but not with a rectangle--am I still missing something?? I know it can't be as hard as it seems-

John Nowack
04-24-2008, 1:59 PM
I think I got what you are saying--i should have made my original blank longer be cause you end up with a parrallelagram (?? I think ??)... the blank will be much shorter when I sqaure the ends and cut off the overhang

Kurt Bird
04-24-2008, 2:24 PM
John,
You are correct, you will end up with a four sided block with ends that aren't square to the sides. The sides are now parallel to each other, and are what use to be the two halves along the diagonal. Simply take the block to the miter saw, and cut the ends square and you are ready to go!
Kurt

Benjamin Dahl
04-24-2008, 2:52 PM
John, I have also used the method described in Bob Hallowell's tutorial.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56400

It worked well for me.
Ben

Bill Stevener
04-24-2008, 8:37 PM
http://sierra-pepper-mills.tripod.com/creating.html

I should have never cheated on the math and geo test in gradeschool but, what's done is done. I can not figure this out for the life of me, If you click on the link and look a the glue up, it appears that all you have to do is glue up a 3" rectangle--cut it in half diagonaly--flip it around some way and glue it back up---what am I missing??--How do you get the boards to allign differntly and still in up with a rectagle blank?
:confused:

Nice to see my web page made it this far. Quite old now, but some good info. Keep working at it John, you will get it.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2008, 9:19 PM
John,

David's got it.

1. Lay the rectangular blank on it's long side so you can see the varying woods.

2. Take a pencil, a ruler and mark your cut line.

3. Now on the left side and right side of the blank mark an "X". The "X"s should be on opposite sides of the blank.

4. Make your cut.

5. Flip one blank end for end so you have a thin end and a thick end at each end.

6. Rotate the blanks so the "X"s are against each other and glue them up that way...x to x.

I hope this makes sense.

John Nowack
04-25-2008, 7:43 AM
Thaks every one i think I got it--Now I just need to figure out what size i need to start with for a 10" mill before the first glue up--of coarse I cut all the boars 12 inches long which does not appear like it will be long enough by the time I re-sqaure everything---oh well the first couple can just have straight lines or I may try the off center trick