PDA

View Full Version : Cherry sideboard completed

Robert Meyer
04-24-2008, 11:15 AM
I have finished a cherry sideboard project. It has many firsts for me, inset doors, use of brass butt hinges, dovetail center slides. Thanks to David DeCristoforo (in a former incarnation) the doors were less intimidating than I had imagined them to be. Thanks! Another lesson learned is to never ever use semi-gloss poly again. It resulted in a combination of satin and glossy patches on the top, even after 5 brushed coats with 320 grit sanding between each coat. I have even rubbed it out with pumice, better but not semi-glossly. Cherry is a stern mistress full of surprises, mystery and beauty.

gary Zimmel
04-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Robert.

Beautiful job on the sideboard! I love the mission style.

Greg Cole
04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Very nice. Love the cherry. You did the style justice in your design (if it's yours) & execution.
I'll add to your sentiment about poly... except I'll say it's for floors & floors only. I'll never put it on a piece I build again.;)

Cheers.
Greg

Jim W. White
04-24-2008, 2:02 PM
Beautiful sideboard! great wood use ...and I really like the "pull" hardware

Jim in Idaho

Jim Becker
04-24-2008, 2:21 PM
Outstanding, Robert!

Brent Ring
04-24-2008, 2:34 PM
Very Nice Work. Don't you love the education each project provides?

Carl Eyman
04-24-2008, 2:37 PM
What would we do without it? Great work!

Dave Verstraete
04-24-2008, 2:42 PM
Great looking sideboard. I love the mission style look done in cherry.

John Bouthiette
04-24-2008, 4:13 PM
Excellent work, I love the look of cherry in most applications but your is terrific!

John Thompson
04-25-2008, 8:38 PM
Excellent Robert.. cherry can be a challenge to finish from my experiences but looks great when done well. You did well it appears..

Sarge..

Don Bullock
04-25-2008, 9:30 PM
That is a very beautiful piece that would look great in my dining room. The quality of the craftsmanship is very evident.

I better make sure SWMBO doesn't see it or I'll have a new project to add to my already long list.:eek:

Tom Henderson2
04-30-2008, 12:47 AM
<snip>
Another lesson learned is to never ever use semi-gloss poly again.
<snip>

Just wondering what brand of poly you were using.... my very limited experience has been similar to yours using borg poly (minwax, etc)

I must say that I'm quite impressed with the execution though... all the doors appear to fit very nicely which is quite an achievement on a project like this.

If I ever get to the point that I try something as challenging as this, I hope mine turns out as well.

-TH

Keith Beck
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Cherry is a stern mistress full of surprises, mystery and beauty.

Wow, that's almost poetic! :D

But seriously, beautiful piece!

Keith

Joe Chritz
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Very nice. The misses liked the looks a lot and now we are discussing using cherry over 1/4 sawn oak for the entertainment center. It also looks like I will be using inset doors this time around. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

I agree with the comment about poly being for floors, however there is a world of difference between borg poly and good stuff.

Joe

Walt Caza
04-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Robert,
That turned out great!
Beautiful wood and beautiful work...
I have cherry on my someday list as well.
Any chance you might give us a peek on the inside?
I don't mean to be greedy, just love your sideboard...
take it easy,
Walt
:)

Steve Flavin001
04-30-2008, 4:03 PM
I am 25% in progress into a similar piece , apparently only a few inches shorter with 3 doors. What, if any, finish or stain did you use before the coat(s) of polyurethane? Anything else?

I plan to head for an oil finish but wlcome any further comments you might have. Great job,

Glenn Clabo
04-30-2008, 4:52 PM
YUMMY...great job!

Robert Meyer
04-30-2008, 8:51 PM
Walt asked for a peek inside ... here are two shots of the interior. On the drawers I used 1/2" poplar with 1/2" applied cherry fronts and Rockler center dovetail guides. I inserted some cherry runners 1/32" proud of the oak dust shelf for the drawer sides to slide on easily. Seems to work well, so far. To finish I used MinWax sanding sealer, no stain, and 4 coats of MinWax semi-gloss poly - sanding with 320 grit between coats and final paste wax (redundant I know) . Thanks for the many positive comments. Creekers are the most generous! My next project is to learn better ways of finishing my future cherry furniture.

Steve Flavin001
05-01-2008, 5:40 AM
While polyurethane my be what it is and over cherry, all poly is not born equal. ;) Sometime try spraying poly on sample cherry, mixing gloss and flat together in different proportions will provide the specific degree of gloss you like. It can also be lightly tinted. Probably above all, brands do vary greatly. Sherwin_Williams, as manuf to the furniture industry makes a great line of it which I think would give more rewarding experiences.

Poly inherently carries high amber tone with tints the wood. (I have no vested interest in or relationship to Sherwin-Williams- have just been using their products for over 40 years) :cool:

Nevertheless, your work is great, particularly for the first time attributes you stated. I'll welcome your comments when I finish mine in a month or so (I'm slow). :eek:

alex grams
05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I built a breakfast table from cherry and put satin poly on it. I actually like the look and it gives a nice surface that holds up for the application.

That being said though, very few other applications would I do a poly on.