PDA

View Full Version : New Turner Pics

Bob Hovde
03-31-2004, 10:11 PM
I think I've figured out how to get things on this site. As I told John Miliunas in an earlier post, I am in the market for a new lathe and bandsaw. I presently have a Shopsmith and a bench bandsaw. I spend a lot of time with the chainsaw and a chisel to get my log pieces round enough to turn. I've attached a couple of pictures of what I've done since I started last June, when a friend gave me some cherry from a tree that fell in his yard. (I now have most of the trunk.) I tried a variety of bowl shapes to see which were hardest. I decided each was hard for its own reasons.

I've enjoyed and learned a lot from the SMC discussions over the past six months. I hope I can contribute in some small way.

Bob

Dick Parr
03-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Very nice Bob! Cherry is nice to work with.

John Shuk
03-31-2004, 10:22 PM
Very nice work! I don't know about you but I just love the smell of cherry when I'm turning it. Very pretty stuff. I have to say that I really like the discussions that I see here too.
John

John Miliunas
03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
I concur; Cherry is some of the neatest stuff to turn and the smell is glorious! But, it holds challenges, as well. Do an old, dry, Cherry burl once! Whew...Now THAT'S a job! Beautiful results, though! Speaking of "beautiful", you've put out some gorgeous work yourself there, Bob. If you're producing that off the SS, I can only imagine what a bigger, heavier-duty lathe would do for you! The hollow form in the first set of three is a real eye-catcher! Wonderful work! :cool:

Jim Becker
03-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Very nice work, Bob. Thanks for sharing it...and keep on posting more!

Glenn Hodges
04-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Bob, I am impressed with such beautiful work now that you have only been turning for such a short time. Your pieces show an eye for original design, keep it up, and keep posting. Thanks