PDA

View Full Version : LaserSub anyone?

Stephen Beckham
04-24-2008, 7:27 AM
Okay - got the new A&E catalog yesterday and really liked the article on the cousin of LaserFrost metal. It's white sublimation coated, but underneath, it's coated gold instead of the plain aluminum. So after you sublimate, you can go back and laser down to a brass look. It gives you the ability to have full color on a plate mixed with some simple brass lasering.

I inquired where I could get it and two of my biggest suppliers said they're not planning on carrying it since they don't think it's going to go anywhere. The disappointing thing is that they both carry the LaserFrost line - hmmm... :confused: Which I tried and really don't like...

Anyway - leaving them un-named (not the point of this thread) - has anyone worked with the LaserSub line?

Anyone know of a supplier here in the States? I searched and found a bunch of dealers in Canada that carry it, but...

I believe there's one company down in Mesquite, Tx (ID tags or something along those lines) that carries it, but haven't tried to contact them yet...

Steve

Jeanette Brewer
04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
FYI only...

ID Plates
Mesquite, TX
(800)395-2570
www.idplates.com (http://www.idplates.com)

Stephen Beckham
04-24-2008, 1:40 PM
Thanks Jeanette...

Anyone else ever use it?

Doug Bergstrom
04-24-2008, 3:03 PM
We have bought Laser Frost through Johnson Plastics.

Bill Mason
04-24-2008, 7:27 PM
I just bought some from ID Plates after seeing the A&E article. That's the only supplier I could find. Will let you know how it performs. You can sublimate the plate and then laser.

Vicky Orsini
04-24-2008, 7:32 PM
Having a quick look at the LaserSub, I would think that you'd almost always want the black (or very dark) background so that the gold undercoat looks good. I wonder how much ink/toner it would take to get a nice, solid black background?

David Lavaneri
04-26-2008, 12:04 AM
I always thought LaserSub would be a natural for cross-platform applications; that is, using more than one process to create a unique product.

If there's a lag in its popularity, I'd attribute it to the fact that many people rely on one process to do everything except re-roof their house.

:)

Cross-platform products are a great way to throw a "monkey wrench" into the plans of single-dimensional companies and short-sighted people.

Since the surface of the material is white, achieving a very opaque background should be no problem. It's gold and silver metal that affects the opacity of colors.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri