PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw

Rasmus Petersen
04-24-2008, 4:20 AM
I looking hard at getting my first bandsaw. I wanted to know if anybody out there knows the Jet JWBS-14 ?? is it a cheap platic knokdown or is it a great machine at the cost..

Or i am i missing an other brand i can get in EU thats cheap and really good ??

David Newson
04-24-2008, 4:58 AM
Ramus - I just checked the spec out for this saw it does not appear to have much of a motor in terms of power fitted to it, which could easily get bogged down

Depending what you are using the saw for I would probably go with a saw with at least 1 1/2Hp motor, I have a Startrite bandsaw which is badged your side of the pond under the name Laguna Tools, they are real tough saws that can tension the blade properly,and very heavily built.

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws.htm

Hope this helps you choose your 1st bandsaw.

David
__________________________________________________ _____________
Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Rasmus Petersen
04-24-2008, 5:13 AM
Startrite is the one im looking for then :-) my side of the pond is the same as yours.. (me living in denmark)

David Newson
04-24-2008, 5:49 AM
Ramus - Sorry didn't realise you are on the same side of the pond.

As you are this side I would also look at Record Power which is the Domestic version machinery side, Startrite and Record Power are joined as subsidiary companys together, and Startrite being the Professional Version which is a better build quality but at a premium price

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php?section=prodlist&cat=2

I'm sure you must have dealers in Denmark,if you need any further assistance give me a PM, you should found what you require on record site and I believe they still operate a 5 year warranty, they receive a lot of good reviews.

David
__________________________________________________ ___________

Rasmus Petersen
04-24-2008, 6:27 AM
Great david !! I will look into record, but i havent go my hopes up :-) if there is a danish dealer he will most likely be charging overprice (most of them do) lets just say usually sales prices are 1/3 higher in Denmark then in the UK. Hve been looking hard at the Jet 3520 i sells cheapest in denmark at 3200£ + shipping...

Matt Hutchinson
04-24-2008, 8:24 AM
Yes, a Startrite would be a great tool. I don't know what the price comparison is, but what do you plan on using it for? I just bought an old Delta 14" bandsaw from the 1980s. I only has a 1/2 HP motor, and yesterday I cut out a few 15" diameter X 5.5" thick very wet walnut blanks. It got a little tough at times, but it worked. Actually, it did great considering.

Here's what I am thinking. If it's a matter of budget, go with what makes financial sense. As far as quality, there is no comparison: Startrite. However, your needs may not warrant a Startrite; the Jet's 3/4 HP motor may be adequate.

Good luck! :)

Hutch

David Newson
04-24-2008, 9:01 AM
Ramus - Have just notice a massive price saving at Yandles & Son, and they deal all across the EU as well as just the UK, you can email them for a quote whilst visiting their web site.

http://www.yandles.co.uk/

That's where my Startrite 440R Bandsaw came from and I found they are an excellent company to deal with, Hope this saves you some hard earned cash, good luck.

David
__________________________________________________ ___

robert hainstock
04-24-2008, 4:07 PM
Rasmus,
I have a Delta 14" with a 3/4 hp motor and the 6" riser block. And while I cannot compare to the machines mentioned above, I have never stalled one of these machines or found it laking in power. If any thing, I would look at other machines for larger capacity. The delta and jet 14"s are virtually identicle. Don't know what the venders ahve on that side of thge pond, so good luck. :eek::confused::)
Bob