PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Router Fence???

matt dumney
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
All,
I have a question about mounting a Incra LS17 fence system to router top that I've made. I'd like get opinions on what I'm doing to make sure I'm thinking this thru properly...

In a nutshell, should I square the mounting bracket to the rear of the table or should a square the fence to the table?

Currently, the table is approximately 31.5" x 50" and I'm planning on setting the bit center 16.5" from the front edge. I've marked a line across the table at 16.5 and found the center point of that line. The plate "hole" has not been machined at this point.

From there I found the center of the table at the rear of the platform and drew a line from the front center to rear center. I have placed the front of fence system mount approximately 19.75" from the bit center.

Does this sound OK?:confused::confused::confused: I really have no idea.

I figure if it's setup this way I can use the fence to square the plate hole and miter channel.

Thanks!

David DeCristoforo
04-23-2008, 11:27 PM
If you are going to use the miter channel in conjunction with the fence, the miter channel should be your reference, not the edge of the table.

matt dumney
04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Agreed but at this point there is no miter channel. I was going to use the fence as the straight edge to route it straight to the fence.

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2008, 8:44 AM
Then it shouldn't matter. The router bits are round, as long as the table is flat and you have enough to work...

Agreed but at this point there is no miter channel. I was going to use the fence as the straight edge to route it straight to the fence.

David DeCristoforo
04-25-2008, 9:14 AM
"...at this point there is no miter channel..."

Then it's simple. Use the edge of the table as a guide to cut the miter channel slot. Then use the slot as the reference for locating the fence. As Jerome pointed out, there is no real need to have the fence aligned with the table edge because the fence is always going to be "tangent" to the cutting circle of the bit. But, if you want to use the fence and the miter slot in conjunction, they must be parallel.