PDA

View Full Version : Question Re. Sanding

BILL DONAHUE
04-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm doing a hickory hollowed form that was roughed up while somewhat green and now I'm completing it. It had warped some and my tool work was kind of sloppy so I had to count on the old 60 grit gouge. Now I have two small areas of what looks like sandpaper tear out - areas of a foggy looking surface. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Bill - sounds like tear-out on end grain and the only way I know of that you can fix it is to by starting the sanding process over and work back through the grits. IF you have enough wood - you could try a shear cut to lightly remove the damaged area. Best of luck to you - let us know what you end up doing.

robert hainstock
04-24-2008, 4:31 PM
I find that it is more likely tool tear out, and the best way to remove it after shear scraping is to use the bowl sander or drill mounted sander and start with 60-80 grit,120, 320 for the finish. If you litghtly rap the area with the back of your knckle and it rings, It may be too thin. If it thunks, most likely ok. LUCK!:eek::)
Bob

Brian Brown
04-24-2008, 11:39 PM
If the tear out is on the end grain it is usually relatively deep into the wood, and a lot of sanding is required. Something else you might try if there is enough thickness to keep turning; soak the entire bowl (or at least the endgrain portions in mineral spirits. Then when you re-turn the MS acts as a lubricant and a softener. Sometimes this makes the endgrain tear out less. Good luck!