PDA

View Full Version : safety first - painful lesson learned

Jason Clark2
04-23-2008, 9:18 PM
I've debated whether to post about this or not and finally decided that if someone else can benefit through my own stupidity then it's probably worth it.

Lesson learned - NEVER have any part of your body pass in front of the bandsaw blade for ANY reason, EVER.

I nearly lost my left pinky finger during a momentary lapse of reason on Sunday afternoon. The blade cut about 60% of the way through the flesh and about 50% of the way through the bone right at the 3rd knuckle before I was able to react. I had emergency surgery with one of the best hand surgeons in Arizona on Sunday night to pin the bone in place and repair ligament damage. I will follow-up in about a week. Prognosis looks pretty good, I'll need physical therapy and possibly a follow-up surgery in 4-6 months to clean up scar tissue.

Please be careful out there.

Jason

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2008, 9:34 PM
Thanks for posting Jason! We all work around equipment that can cause severe damage in just a moment! Your reminder to stay alert will hopefully help all of us pay a little more attention when working!

I hope everything heals quickly and that you regain full use of your finger! Man - that had to have been scary! Again - thanks for posting!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2008, 9:42 PM
Jason....Thanks for posting! I hope your recovery continues swiftly and completely!

Jim Creech
04-23-2008, 9:50 PM
Ouch!!! That had to have hurt!
Wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
Thanks for the reality check. None of us are as tough as a machine with a sharp (or dull) blade!

Rasmus Petersen
04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
I hope you heal dude... But a good lesson to all of us !! i know quite a few woodworkers that are missing parts of their fingers.. most af them beeing bandsaw accidents...!!

David Newson
04-24-2008, 4:30 AM
Jason - Thanks for posting and wishing you a full 100% recovery soon.

It should be a constant reminder to all of us, that using any woodcutting machinery can be potentionally dangerous with just few seconds loss of concentration or distraction.

David
__________________________________________________ __________
Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

George Conklin
04-24-2008, 6:16 AM
WOW! Sorry to hear about that, Jason. I'm glad you got a good Dr. to fix you up.
Heal quick.

Geoff Hanha
04-24-2008, 6:33 AM
Its not going to do much in warning folk, we all do stupid things no matter how carfull we are, i have been a carpenter all my life im 55 and have all my digits thankfully. I got out the joinery shop a lot of years back seen to many accedents daft ones and silly ones, my first was at school in my first year of woodwork the teacher said i dont want to see this sort of thing being done and he pushed his thumb straight throught the table saw, that was a real teacher bit over the top though must have hurt:D but true, he took his eye of the ball and paid for it.
I through petrol on a fire to start it a few years back and someone had a small amber in the bottom which i did not know about, i went up like on the films with the stunmen it ignited i jumped back petrol went all over me, i dived in the mud covered my face and screemed to be put out, it hurt like hell i was lucky after skin melting of my arms and back i was only 6% and its the worst thing i have ever had, but someone up there was looing after me, i healed in 2 weeks just a few little marks you would never know, it could have been worse. So accedents are just that, lets hope that if we have them then there only little ones. I hope you heel quick and that its not put you off, and you do not have to much trouble with the rest of it. As the guy on the program HILL STREET BLUES would say, Lets be carfull out there. Happy turning guys..Geoff

jeremy levine
04-24-2008, 7:49 AM
Ouch and OUCH best of luck on a speedy recovery.

michael gallagher
04-24-2008, 7:53 AM
That's one of the main reasons I have just about quit using my table saw. Thanks for posting your accident to remind us all to be cognizant of basic safety measures we often (myself included) forget about - it takes just one moment of carelessness for a serious accident to happen. I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse, and hope you have a speedy recovery!

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2008, 8:52 AM
Thanks for posting. We all get lax in the shop at times and it good to be reminded from time to time. Hope everything heals well and you are back at the shop soon.

Kevin McPeek
04-24-2008, 9:32 AM
Ouch Jason, I hope everything heals up good. If you need anything let me know.
I had an incedent when rounding a bowl blank on the bandsaw and got my ring finger, but just a little. I left the blood spots on the floor for gentle reminder not to do that again.

Dennis Peacock
04-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reminder and godspeed on your recovery!!!!!

Mike Vickery
04-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Sorry hear about your accident Jason. Hope you have a speady recovery. I think all of us have had accidents before, it is unfortunate that your was so bad.

Let me know if you need anything.

Don Robert
04-24-2008, 12:08 PM
It pains me to constantly read or hear people say that the bandsaw is the safest power tool in the shop. Your accident is one more data point that says there is no such thing as a "safe" power tool. Fortunately I've only gotten small nicks and cuts over the years, but my uncle cut off his finger in his shop. There were so many shavings and so much sawdust on the floor (he never cleaned his shop) that he couldn't find the severed end to take to the hospital with him for possible reattachment. At least you didn't lose track of all your parts.

Hope you had Dr. Bobb - he is the greatest. Heal fast.

Philip Duffy
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Jason, Thanks for having the courage to admit an error! All of us should be so honest! Philip

Jack Mincey
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Jason,
Have a quick and full recovery. I've taught high school shop for 25 years now and the bandsaw has been the worst tool in the shop for mishaps. Only one required a trip to the doctor and turned out fine with a few weeks of healing. The only other tool in the shop that required a student to go to the doctor is the jointer. Lucky he just took the flesh of the tip of his middle finger and it grew back as well. Even after so many years I get very nervous when I turn a new bunch of kids lose in the shop for the first time.
Jack

curtis rosche
04-24-2008, 2:32 PM
any pictures?

robert hainstock
04-24-2008, 2:51 PM
As on getting older and shakier, I sold my table saw two years ago. I try to remember the tips advised here when I use the Rackwell, (Delta) 14" bandsaw.I now have two pushstiks at the saw. But over the years, I've expierenced a brother in law amputating his thumb, and a shipmate/carpenters mate who waas down to three fingers, and one eye. I guess that proves that some people never learn. Get well soon. :eek:
And watch your hands and loose clothing and all theother safety stuff you've learned over the years. I am now at a place in life where the best thing I do is forget the last thing I did, So I have to be extra careful. I still play the Sax, and need all ten to do that. :)
Bob

Ron Ainge
04-24-2008, 3:36 PM
Jason

I to tried to remove the little finger on my left hand with the band saw one Sunday afternoon. I was lucky that when I got to the hospital there was a hand surgen on duty at the time. I had severed all four tendons and just nicked the bone. I spent two days in the hospital and had a cast on for 6 weeks. I went through the therapy process and today I hav full use of the finger. I was surprised later as I learned of all of the people that I know that have had accident related to the band saw. I wish you a speady full recovery.

Jason Clark2
04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the concerns everybody, I have no one to blame for it except for myself, working too fast, not paying enough attention to the task at hand, and putting one of my hand where I knew it shouldn't have been.

I don't have any photos (yet) maybe I'll post some on Tuesday after I see the surgeon for my follow-up and to have the pins removed. The surgeons initial reaction was that the cut wasn't that bad and that I should regain most if not all function following physical therapy and a potential follow-up surgery.

The funniest part of this whole experience was the look on the triage doctor's face after taking a look at the would and then asking how I managed to do it with a handsaw. :confused:

Jason

Dick Strauss
04-25-2008, 9:53 AM
Jason,
Thanks for the post...we all need a reminder every once in a while! I'm just sorry it happened to you. I hope you heal very quickly and are back to normal in no time.

I was using the BS and chainsaw for several hours yesterday. I was starting to get complacent (or maybe tired) as I sawed. As soon as I realized I wasn't 100% there mentally, I immediately quit! I came back later to finish up once I was more aware.

Take care,
Dick