PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bookshelf

Matt Meiser
04-23-2008, 8:44 PM
After 2-1/2 years, I decided its time to finish my daughter's bedroom furniture. I made the bed and night stand (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28366&) back in 2005. The bookshelf was the next requested piece. Its pretty simple construction--a maple plywood carcase with a solid maple face frame and top. The carcase is Domino'd together and the face frame was aligned to the carcase with Dominos too. The finish is wipe-on poly to match the two previous pieces. I now mostly spray, but was concerned that they might not match, especially over time if I switched methods. I also attached the Sketchup model in case someone is looking for my "plan" (sorry, this is as close as I get to plans.)

Next up is a chest of drawers and a mirror.

gary Zimmel
04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Matt

Great looking bookshelf.

I'm sure it won't take long for your daughter to fill it up. Can't wait to see the chest of drawers and mirror.

Dave MacArthur
04-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Nice, and helpful to me to see this--similar to some built-in book cases I am trying to design w/ sketchup w/ walnut faceframes; same curve on top, I like it.

Matt Meiser
04-24-2008, 6:32 AM
Thanks Gary--I told her she had to wait until today to put anything on it. I noticed this morning there is some stuff on one shelf.

Dave, just so you know, the curve in the Sketchup drawing is different from what I actually used. The actual curve came off a template I made for pattern routing the top rails for the headboard and foot board on the bed.

Dave Verstraete
04-24-2008, 7:00 AM
Matt
Great looking bookshelf. Now she's going to have to go shopping for some dolls to put on it. Hang on to your wallet.

Matt Meiser
04-24-2008, 7:27 AM
Matt
Great looking bookshelf. Now she's going to have to go shopping for some dolls to put on it. Hang on to your wallet.

No we have PLENTY of those!

Joe Petersen
04-24-2008, 9:17 PM
I'm building my daughter a bookshelf for her birthday in May. I just need to make sure she doesn't see yours or I'll be in big trouble. Nice bookcase.

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 7:52 AM
Very nice work, Matt. Your daughter is very lucky to have such a wonderful matched set of furniture!

Walt Caza
04-25-2008, 2:10 PM
Good work Matt,
Your bookshelf looks tight and tidy.
What a great addition to your daughter's matched set!

May I ask what you are using to spray wood finish these days?
I have been looking at HVLP systems but am sitting on my hands.
take care,
Walt
:)

John Thompson
04-25-2008, 8:26 PM
Nice match up with the stock probably not coming from the same source? I have run into problems with that.. which were not life threatening.. but a problem none the less.

Sarge..

Don Bullock
04-25-2008, 9:37 PM
That's very nice Matt. From the looks of the bookshelf and what I can see of the bed, your daughter has some fantastic furniture.

J. Z. Guest
04-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice work Matt. Glad to see you're getting real mileage out of the Domino.

John Zilinskas
04-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Nice work.
If I could make one suggestion.
Tie the back of the shelf to the wall in the back with some picture frame hanger wire, strap or similar to prevent a tip over.
I have a large bookcase I built and I did just that. I don't think it will ever tip, but with kids climbing and non physisists putting heavy things on top, you never know.

Matt Meiser
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm one step ahead of you John. I used a couple figure-8 table top fasteners which are attached at the top of the book shelf and into the wall.