PDA

View Full Version : Another Hollow Form

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2008, 1:37 PM
Spalted birch, #19 in the series, 9” diameter x 4 ¼” high, sanded to 400 grit, 4 coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly. Will wait for a week or longer for the poly to dry before buffing.

87034 87035 87036 87037 87038

As always, comments and critiques are appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2008, 1:41 PM
Steve that is another beauty. Love your form and finish.

Burt Alcantara
04-23-2008, 4:36 PM
Steve,
Your workmanship is impeccable! I find the sides to be a bit "snubby." If there were less of them I think it would improve the form dramatically.

Just my $000.00000002 which is about all it's worth.

Burt

Bill Bolen
04-23-2008, 4:56 PM
Superb Steve! Is this the one you were trying out your new carbide cutter on! WTG..Bill..

Geoff Hanha
04-23-2008, 5:18 PM
Hi Steve, that is one nice piece of wood, not so happy you got it and i haven't but thats life:D Love the form, i have never got around to turning a simula form, something i keep wanting to do but never got the time then forget, just stuck it back on my todo list so i don't forget. Really nice piece..LB

David Newson
04-23-2008, 5:26 PM
That's a great bit of work -Steve as all your work is she's a real beaut.

What sort of thickness do you try aim for with your hollow forms of that shape, and do you use any laser guide on that shape or just use callipers frequently and go slowly.

David
__________________________________________________ _____________
Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2008, 6:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments - I do appreciate it!

William - Yup - this is the hollow form I was working on when I got to try out my new carbide cutter!

David - I try to get the form down to 3/16" to 1/4" overall and I do use a laser. I find my limiting factor is the wood itself - as I turn pieces with natural voids, checks and inclusions and there are times I prefer to have the wood a little thicker just to keep it from fragmenting.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2008, 6:40 PM
Beautifully done Steve! ...but then we've come to expect that of you!

Bill Wyko
04-23-2008, 6:47 PM
Once again Steve you knock one out of the park. Really beautiful choice of wood and a great form and finish.

Jim Maxwell
04-23-2008, 7:10 PM
G'day Steve,
I like your hollow form, but, if you don't mind me saying so, it screams at me asking for some decoration. But, that's me, I can't leave things alone any more.... :). Often plain simple lines are the best, particularly with a figured piece. Your piece in still very nice.
Jim

Dennis Puskar
04-23-2008, 9:02 PM
Excellent work,real nice form and grain.

Dennis

Richard Madison
04-23-2008, 9:12 PM
Steve,
Another beauty, as noticed by others. Assume you have a market for them or a very large house to fill. If the former, without giving away company secrets or confidential info., could you share a little market information, price range for hollow forms, and stuff like that with us?

It is easy enough to calc. matl. cost plus hours to arrive at potential price for a piece. But that may bear no relation to the price at which a piece would actually sell.

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2008, 9:40 PM
Richard - I don't have a market for my turnings (yet) or a large house to store everything in. You can ask my neighbor Bob - I've got finished turnings stacked all over the shop and in various spots throughout the house. I do hope to be able to start selling them sometime this year - not sure exactly how, when or what price I can get for anything - but sales has been my goal all along.

Richard Madison
04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Steve,
Your stuff looks great, so there should be a market out there somewhere if you can just find it. Am trying to get connected with a small local gallery, and dealing with the "what's it for" question. Will try a few small pieces that appear to be "for" something (little bowls, jewelry boxes, bud vases), and maybe, in the fullness of time, work our way toward turned wood as art. Seldom does one ask of a painting or fine photographic print, "what's it for".

We have a terrific local turner and truly an artist (unlike self), very active in woodturning circles (as it were), and I think that fewer than a couple dozen people know he's here. But could be wrong about that.

Anyhow, best of luck with finding your market and bringing in a few $$ to support the obsession, er, hobby.

Curt Fuller
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
That's another in your long and growing line of hollow forms. I really like the forms and the finish is perfect. When you come up with a plan for selling your work, how about letting me know how you do it. I'm also starting to accumulate quite a gallery here at my house.

Glenn Hodges
04-24-2008, 9:06 AM
You have the hollowform down pat, lovely.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-24-2008, 9:23 AM
Steve, That's a beauty. I love the wood but you form and finish really make it sing.

Mike Vickery
04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Beautiful piece Steve!

dennis kranz
04-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Very nice Steve. Oh and if you need some place to store a couple of those I am sure I can find some room here.
Dennis

robert hainstock
04-24-2008, 3:23 PM
Gee Neighbor, If you need some storage, I could throw out some of my woodpile and you could store some of those In my shop, Actually creekers, I've been pestering Steve for some time about selling some of that stuff. I find though that when He does make a move it is only after he has thougholy researched it and knows ahead of time pretty much how it will turn out. I also know how thankful he is to Randy Privett for the marvelous "Monster Hollowing systems". I am blessed to be able to call him friend. :D:D:D:D
Bob

Jim Maxwell
04-25-2008, 5:43 AM
I get asked very often, "What can I use it for?". My standard answer is in the form of a question, "Do you have paintings and photos on the wall at home?". If the answer is yes, I then ask "What do you use them for?". At that point usually, the penny drops.
Jim

Hilel Salomon
04-25-2008, 7:33 AM
Hey Steve,

By some miracle, I am able to see them in Virginia (Very Slow Internet) and I'm delighted to be able to get a look. They are great!!! What do you use your carbide cutter on?
Stay Well, Hilel.

Travis Stinson
04-26-2008, 2:56 PM
Looks great Steve!

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2008, 5:14 PM
Thanks again everyone for all of your kind comments! I really appreciate it!

Travis - it's been way to long... how you been?

mike fuson
04-27-2008, 1:11 AM
Top notch Steve, I like the rim.