PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite mantle "weeping"

Jeff Lewis
04-23-2008, 12:56 PM
A prospective customer wants a mesquite dining table, but is hesitant because their mesquite mantle "weeps" whenever they have a fire in the fireplace.

I've never heard of this (nor have I seen it on theirs). My past impressions are that mesquite is very stable and dry (no sap), so I can only speculate that their builder (or his supplier) maybe soaked it in an oil finish long enough to penetrate beyong the reach of normal drying. The internal oil is then driven out by heat.

Has anyone seen this, and if so what is the source/cause? :confused:

Richard M. Wolfe
04-23-2008, 1:19 PM
the only thing I can think of with the mantle 'weeping' would be moisture driven out of a thick mantlepiece, because if the wood is thick enough it may never completely dry.

Like you, the most logical thing to consider suspect is some kind of oil treatment that's being driven out by heat. Unless it's bound or unbound water in the wood I really don't know what it could be. I have on occasion seen a pitch pocket in the wood but never anything resinous in the wood itself.

Chris Padilla
04-23-2008, 1:22 PM
Jeff,

WILD first post but lemme start by saying: Welcome to SMC!!

To answer your question, I agree that it must be the finish applied. I had this happen to me on a rectangular oak base that has 3 lights connected to. This light bolts to the wall above the sink mirror. For several weeks it would ooze a bit of the wiping varnish I applied to it whenever the lights were on for a long time. It has since stopped as I assume the varnish finally cured or dried thoroughly.

BTW, I LOVE mesquite...so gorgeous...so bloody expensive! :(

Bill Wyko
04-23-2008, 1:41 PM
Welcome as well. I have to agree with Chris, the finish must be some kind of oil. My BIL gave me an end grain cutting board for X-Mas and in order for it to last, it had to be repeatedly coated with oil. For a while the oil would rise to the surface. It took a few days before it stopped but now it's perfect. I love using end grain boards now.:D