PDA

View Full Version : inverter dust cover yes or no

Ron Oastler
04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I just unpacked my new 3520b and set it up, boy does it look good can't wait to get some blanks a spinning on it, I was wondering if anyone does anything to prevent dust from going into the inverter, it looks like that might casue a problem, but if I cover it will that cause problems, the moving in and setup went very easily, a cargo dolley and a engine table to raise and lower the ways onto the legs and a couple of stong friends, much easier than I thought, everything lines up very true and just have to hook up the electrical plug and we are set to turn :) :) :)
Ron in Kingston (very happy new owner)
picutres of newborn will be here shortly

Chris Barnett
04-23-2008, 8:45 PM
Cannot comment on the remainder of your post but have done a bit of radiation, forced and free convection heat transfer analysis, and thus, it is probably a very bad idea to close off the ventilation slots in the enclosure.

Richard Madison
04-23-2008, 8:58 PM
Ditto what Chris said. Do NOT obstruct air flow through the inverter in any way. Just vacuum chips off the top.

neil mackay
04-24-2008, 1:05 AM
Ron,
Its not the big chips you have to worry about but rather the fine dust.
All manufacturers of VSD's or inverters will have the specs on what size box is required to encase thier equipment if necessary.

You may blow allot of dust out of it but over time you will not get it all and the heat build up will eventually have a detrimental effect on your inverter.

The trick is protect it from the fine dust but not impede the air flow. In my case I placed it in a electrical box that was far bigger than recommened.
I have kept a close eye on to just in case I needed to place a fan on it etc. But two years on its doing fine. Temps get to around 115+ at times in the workshop.

Keith Burns
04-24-2008, 9:18 AM
What Neil said. Oneway encloses theirs in a dustproof box with no problems.