PDA

View Full Version : Bed Headboard

George Sanders
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I am in the process of building a bed that uses 2, 3/8" pins mounted horizontally in the upright support. The rail hardware has 2 hooks which hang on these pins. Before I mount the pins I have to cut a 1 3/4" deep groove about 7" long. This has to be a stopped groove so it doesn't show. How can I make this cut safely on the table saw?

Mike SoRelle
04-23-2008, 10:56 AM
I am in the process of building a bed that uses 2, 3/8" pins mounted horizontally in the upright support. The rail hardware has 2 hooks which hang on these pins. Before I mount the pins I have to cut a 1 3/4" deep groove about 7" long. This has to be a stopped groove so it doesn't show. How can I make this cut safely on the table saw?

Is doing it with a router out of the question?

Mike

George Sanders
04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
The cut has to be about 1/8" wide and 1 3/4" deep. My 1/8" straight router bit cutting length isn't that long. Thanks for the reply.

Mike SoRelle
04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Ah, I've got a couple of 1 1/2" and I think a 2" plunge cutters but they are if I recall 1/4 or 1/2 I should have paid attention to you just wanting a kerf's width.

The problem I see with the TS is the blade radius and the overcut required to get the depth you want through the whole length.

There's always the cut the middle on the TS then chisel the rest approach :)

to make stopped grooves on the TS, I just use masking tape on the fence marked with start stop lines, and carefully lower the piece on the blade to start it, though when I'm really worried, I count the number of revolutions needed of the handle to get my depth then clamp the piece in place and bring the blade up to make the cut X number of turns (like cutting a ZCI, but with more precision)

Mike

Joe Jensen
04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
wow, that's a challenge. Maybe a 1/8" wide mortessing chissel? First cut as deep as you can with a router, and then use the chissel? I've looked at that mounting system before but never considered how to make the slot...joe

George Sanders
04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I solved the problem. Since the cut will be hidden by the springs and mattress; I just made a plunge cut with a circular saw.

Mike SoRelle
04-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I might also consider (since I own one) a RotoZip with a plunge spiral tip (Don't recall the cutting depth off hand, but I think it would do 1 3/4) but you'd need a good solid guide pattern to keep the thing from suddenly juking 3 inches the wrong direction (DAMHIK)

Mike

Greg Cole
04-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Mortise chisel & mallet.

Greg