PDA

View Full Version : Using sawdust and shavings as mulch??

jack jarvis
03-31-2004, 5:06 PM
What is the consensus on using shavings as mulch? My concern was would it attract termites? Does it do any good as mulch? I have lots of cherry, maple, walnut and aromatic cedar shavings? hmmm maybe I could package the aromatic cedar shavings and label it "pouporri"?
(potporri...spelling??)

Jim Becker
03-31-2004, 5:20 PM
What is the consensus on using shavings as mulch? My concern was would it attract termites? Does it do any good as mulch? I have lots of cherry, maple, walnut and aromatic cedar shavings? hmmm maybe I could package the aromatic cedar shavings and label it "pouporri"?
(potporri...spelling??)
Yes, you can use this material for mulch, although it's best if you compost it first. This helps aleviate any nitrogen-stealing problems that raw sawdust can introduce. Additionally, it's best to avoid walnut for this purpose as it can affect your ability to grow many plants in the same area. Walnut should never be included in any material that will be used for animal bedding...it's poisonous to some species, such as horses.

We mix my sawdust and chips into our compost and also use it to line the paths of our vegetable garden.

As far a termites...don't put ANY mulch closer than 3-4" from your foundation.

Frank Pellow
03-31-2004, 11:38 PM
We have been using sawdust and small chips in our compoist for years and with very good success. I have always composted the material first, never applies it directly as mulch. Our usual turn-around time on compost is two years.