PDA

View Full Version : New to Kemah, Texas

Tony Bilello
04-23-2008, 8:05 AM
I am relatively new to the area.
I have not done any serious turning in many many years and no turning at all in the last 10 years. At one time I was a lathe junkie and was fairly good at it.
I just bought a new Jet lathe (Model 1236) and want to know where there may be a small saw mill nearby where I can pick up some blanks at a reasonable price.
Also want to know if there are any small woodturning clubs in the area. If not, I would like to start one. If interested, contact me. I had been to a Gulf Coast Woodturners meeting and it was nice, but not my thing. It was so crowded that it is almost impossible for anyone to really see and learn. When I lived in Little Rock, we had a small turners club that met at my shop and each meeting, one of the members gave a demo and everyone could stand around the lathe and watch. Nothing formal, just a small bunch of turners. We learned and increased our skills rapidly.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this site.

Tony B

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2008, 8:07 AM
Welcome to SMC Tony. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge here.

David Newson
04-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Welcome Tony to SMC. As Bernie just stated lots of good knowledgeable and very helpful people, the word has even spread to my side of the pond, and I myself didn't join that long ago.

Hope to see some of your work soon.

David
__________________________________________________ ___________
Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Bobby Perry
04-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey Tony welcome. I am close to you. I live on Bolivar Penn. Crystal Beach. There are lots of people in the area that are turners that don't belong to that club. I will send you a PM and see if we already know each other.

Glenn Hodges
04-23-2008, 12:27 PM
A smaller club has started near my home, and I find it more rewarding than the last club I was in with over 100 members. I hope it does not get as large as the last one. The guy that started it was new to turning so I give them all the help I can.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
04-23-2008, 2:59 PM
Welcome to the site.. Your alittle too far south for me, since I work in Houston, but I found your observation of the GCWTA, to be exactly what I got.. "too big for their own good".. I met some nice guys there, and they do some great work, but it seemed hard to find someone willing to spend time, and exchange ideas and just talk about the hobby.. You find another group in the Houston/Kemah/Alvin area, post it up,.. In the mean time, I suggest you get to rubbin' on that lathe, cause all that salt air is gonna rust it quick, as soon as you turn it off!.. good luck!

Bobby Perry
04-23-2008, 4:09 PM
Thought of this after my last post. There is another club in the area but its too far North for me. Christopher K. Hartley can tell you about it he had something to do with the startup of it.