PDA

View Full Version : Antique Oil Mix

David Wilhelm
04-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm working on a home mix. I've got Raymonds dipping mixture that he uses on NEs and I've got a 50:50 mix of spar varn. and MS. that I've used for wiping. I've looked at the MSDS sheet for MINWAX Antique oil and it was upside down but the only thing I would make out was the MS I feel sure from other readings that it has a BLO content. Do you think there are more drying agents as well? How does it compare to daish oil 1/3 V, 1/3MS, 1/3 BLO? I've dipped some of Raymonds mix out and let the MS evaporate and the build up is very nice. So I'm thinking I want to just ad BLO to my 50:50 but just not sure how much.

Paul Andrews
04-23-2008, 7:16 AM
David,
Antique oil contains either BLO or Tung oil, MS, dryers and varnish. How much of each is anyone's guess. Based on my experience, antique oil has a greater content of varnish than danish oil, thus the quick build to a gloss finish.

This winter I experimented making my own batch of danish oil as I needed a large quantity for soaking pieces. Based on advise from others I started with a mix of 2 gallons of MS and two gallons of BLO combined with 2 quarts of gloss varnish. This worked OK, but was a little high on the varnish content as it resulted in a glossy surface that I was not looking for.

The bottom line is to find a starting place and try different mixes until you find what works best for you.

Matt Hutchinson
04-23-2008, 8:00 AM
What is BLO? Some kind of oil I assume. Thanks

Hutch

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2008, 8:03 AM
What is BLO? Some kind of oil I assume. Thanks

Hutch

Hutch that is Boiled Linseed Oil.