PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hollowing Tool Advice

Bruce Pennell
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm looking at the monster hollowing tool of Randy's. I'm new to turning and I am just starting to do bowl's, want to try hollow forms, and segmented forms. Which package would you suggest to start with? Can I start small and add to his system? I was looking at #HFLH for $490.00 That would get me the Art. arm system w/ laser, and the hand tool set-up. Like I say I'm new and have fallen for turning. I'm using a Delta 46-450 12" swing over the bed. My problem is I really don't know what I need. Called Randy today to ask,but haven't got a return call yet. I'm sure he's a busy guy. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for all the help, you guy's and girl's have really inspired me. Haven't turned in 30 plus years, since high school, so this is very new to me. I've been playing everyday since I got my lathe, picked up a few new tools (was well supplied with spindle tools), joined a turning club SAZWA's (http://www.sazwa.org/). Using a super nova 2 chuck, very nice, read about Nova, One Way, and Vicmark chucks here. From what I've read Randys Hollowing System seems very well liked. Thanks for all the reviews, Bernie, Steve, Burt and Bill. Thanks to everyone Sawmill sure makes learning fun.

Don Eddard
04-23-2008, 5:36 AM
I'm guessing you mean Randy? He's a busy guy but he's got great products. The HFLH would be a great setup that would keep you knee deep in shavings for a long time, and the price is hard to beat, when you figure all the tools you get for that.

Randy Privett
04-23-2008, 5:57 AM
Bruce,

I received your message, but when I went to replay it, somehow it was deleted. Duh, have to be smarter than the machine. Call back today and we'll talk.

Randy

Bruce Pennell
04-23-2008, 6:54 AM
Thanks Randy I don't know where I got Rick from. Thanks Don for your advice.

Burt Alcantara
04-23-2008, 8:35 AM
Bruce,
I'd suggest you start with just the arm. It will surprise you in how much it will do, and how easy it is to use.

Buy and study Lyle Jamieson's "Hollow Forms The Easy Way." Many of us apply his techniques to the articulated arm.

Make small straight sided cups to get an idea of how the arm and laser works and how it cuts. As you begin to understand this begin to close up the forms.

While the arm comes with a number of cutters, I only use the swivel head with the 3/16" cutter, but feel free to try them all out.

You'll need a tool to rough out the log/blank. A roughing gouge or 5/8" bowl gouge will do. For shaping, a good spindle gouge or bowl gouge will get you to your design. I use a skew to form the tenon as it is quick and easy. (I don't have the skill to form a good tenon with a gouge!)

With just these few tools, you will be able to create any hollow form. If you want to do bowls with the arm then a good bowl gouge would be in order.

For finishing, there are numerous posts throughout SMC on various processes.

Of course, there are many variables to the above but this post is meant to show you that you can get a lot done with very little.

Keep it simple. Complexity comes with understanding.

Hope this helps,
Burt

Bruce Pennell
04-23-2008, 9:47 AM
Thanks Burt, I will be calling Randy today to place my order. Thanks for directing me to the Lyle reference I'll get that ordered also. I have already picked up a 1" roughing gouge, 1/2" bowl gouge, large and small scraper, large ,medium,and small skews. When I bought my lathe the guy did mostly spindle work so I got 18 other tools from him. I've also been playing with dental tools,and a couple of others I had laying around. Ground up some old screw drivers, and just been playing to see how everything cuts. Thanks again for the advice. Bruce