PDA

View Full Version : HELP picking Hammer Drill

Dave Hammelef
03-08-2003, 6:59 PM
I may be finishing my parents basement latter this spring. They have a cast concrete wall, and I notice the builder used tapcons to attach a few 2x4's. When I finish it I figured I would follow that lead. But I only have a regular drill. Sooooooooo

I could rent a Hammer drill my geuss is it would cost about 20-30 for the day, but looking at HD I saw several in the 130-150 price range.

So what should I look for, whats a good one, Does not need to be heavy duty, will get used on this job, for about 200-300 holes and then maybe a few other odds and end jobs.

:confused:

Garrett Lambert
03-08-2003, 7:12 PM
I've had the Makita for several years. Until I used it to drill through some old concrete my very large 2--hander 1/2" drill couldn't even dent, I wouldn't have believed the performance difference. You won't use it routinely, but when you need it...

BTW, so-called hammer drills that use regular shank bits aren't even close to being in the same class. The real deals use bits with special shanks that manage the hammer shocks far better. (Don't worry, they last a long time.)

Cheers, Garrett

Dave Hammelef
03-08-2003, 7:26 PM
Originally posted by Garrett
[B....BTW, so-called hammer drills that use regular shank bits aren't even close to being in the same class. The real deals use bits with special shanks that manage the hammer shocks far better. (Don't worry, they last a long time.)

Cheers, Garrett [/B]

I am not sure what you are talking about, Can you give me model numbers or something to show me the difference.

Jason Roehl
03-08-2003, 7:41 PM
Garrett's talking about spline-shank drills. The bits have splines on them that look like the teeth of a gear. But, for what you are doing, I would highly recommend a Milwaukee. I bought a recon'd one several years ago that has held up well to the few hammer ops I have thrown at it. In comparison, I destroyed a $70 Sears hammer model in a half-day's use. I don't know the model # on the Milwaukee, but I know that they have upgraded it with a 2-speed gearbox, but it was $130 recon'd and about $200 new. I have found that more expensive bits do last a LITTLE longer, but I think you get more bang for your buck by buying the el-cheapos (as long as they are still carbide) and tossing them once the drilling slows considerably.

Jason

P.S. The spline-shank drills are $400 and up.

Garrett Lambert
03-08-2003, 7:47 PM
I paiid under US$200 for mine here in Canada. I did a quick search on Google and here's the first one that came up. Same price - with a photo - in the USA:

http://www.plazahardware.com/tools/shop15627/pdB00004YOLE/Power_Tools/Rotary_Hammers/

The Makita spline-shanked bits cost me ~US$20 for a set of 5, and the're still going strong.

Cheers, Garrett

Bill Pentz
03-08-2003, 7:47 PM
Dave,

I bought the Makita 1/2" hammer-drill at Costco for a similar project years ago. I like the ability to turn off the hammer feature and use that drill when I need lots of torque away from my drill press. With a masonary bit (Home Depot, Lowes', or about any hardware store) it goes right through concrete with ease.

Mine has been a good tool and one I would recommend.

bill

John Miliunas
03-08-2003, 8:14 PM
Dave, I've had a Porter Cable, 1/2" hammer drill for a number of years now. Literally beat the livin' snot out of it, doing an entire basement to living area conversion (close to 2K sq/ft). Besides the hammer duty, it also served as my main mixer for joint compound and texture paint. Still kickin' butt! By the same token, I have also used the Milwaukee some others mention. Yup, 'nuther good unit! IMHO, you can't go wrong with either. :cool:

Dave Hammelef
03-08-2003, 8:35 PM
After some looking I see some say SDS, What does that mean?

Here is a milwaukee on amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004T9RH/qid=1047173428/sr=1-57/ref=sr_1_57/002-5942623-4097662?v=glance&s=hi

Or there are cheaper ones like this

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000040JO6/qid=1047173606/sr=1-33/ref=sr_1_33/002-5942623-4097662?v=glance&s=hi

Neither of these say SDS.

Dave

Craig Howard
03-08-2003, 9:48 PM
<b>Mil-Waukee</b>

I have the 5378-02. It's a great drill. I don't use it a lot, but when I need it, there's no substitute. I've never used an SDS, but I've never been disappointed with what I have either. Also, like was mentioned before, switch off the hammer feature and it's a beast of a 1/2" drill.

Craig

Howard Barlow
03-08-2003, 9:53 PM
I bought a Bosch 11236VS in August. It's overkill for your need right now. But I tell you whut....at'sa hammer drill! I used one 5/8" bit to drill nearly 100 4" deep holes in 4000 psi concrete before it dulled out on me.

Of course, it's a little more $$$ than what you're looking for, $319 at HD.

Keith Zavodney
03-08-2003, 9:55 PM
SDS, SDS Max are a quick change style. The conventional drill with hammer action is called a hammer drill and they use conventional round shank bits. When you get into SDS and spline shank drills they are called rotary hammers and are a heavier duty hammer drill. You can turn the hammer on or off and some have a hammer only mode used for chisels. You can get bullnose chisels and flat chisels. Not all rotary hammers perform alike. Once I compared 2 rotary hammers and 1 of them really outdrilled the other by a large margin. It had a heavier piston which caused it to 'hammer' harder and consequently drilled thru concrete faster. A hammer drill would probably perform just fine for you unless you plan on doing a LOT of concrete work. Don't mistake a 1/2" hammer drill (with hammer off) with a basic 1/2" drill. The 1/2" drill will be geared down for lots of torque turning larger diameter bits, usually around 750-850 rpms. The 1/2" hammer drills usually spin up to 2800 rpms with blows in the 30,000-50,000 bpm range. They work fine in drill only mode unless you need high torque.

Any other questions?

Keith Z.

Rob Glynn
03-08-2003, 10:00 PM
I have a Metabo that is now over 10 years old. It has been used, and abused, all that time, looks like a train wreck, but runs like a clock.
A little more expensive than some other brands and, as I understand it, there have been a few units with faulty triggers, but well worth what I paid for it all those years ago.
Worth a look in my opinion.

Charles McKinley
03-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Hello,

SDS is the special shank bits that they mentionsed above.

I have a Metabo (~$225 a couple years ago) that I bought after the cheap Skill bit the dust.

I think the SDS is overkill for what you will be doing. It is more for rotary hammers.

Good Luck

Rod Peterson
03-08-2003, 10:04 PM
<br>
I bought a Makita 1501 from The Utter Guys about 4 years ago. Seems to me I paid around $75 for it. I thought it was a close out on a discontinued tool, but it's still around. They still have it (<a href=http://www.utterguys.com>UtterGuys.com</a>, and search for <i>Makita 1501</i>); but the URL is too long for this software to parse.

You can also take a look at it at <a href=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004YOLA/qid=1047177409/br=1-13/ref=br_lf_hi_13//002-3915030-7194440?v=glance&s=hi&n=552802>Amazon</a>, where it's priced about $125, but they have a link to used ones for a lot less.

I've used it a few times and it really eats throuch concrete compared to a non-hammer variety.

The rotary hammer (SDS) drills are an entirely different beast. For what you're doing and what you want to spend, the 1501 is perfect. And like Bill Pentz said, you can switch the hammer mode off and use it as a regular drill.

Craig Howard
03-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by KeithZ
Don't mistake a 1/2" hammer drill (with hammer off) with a basic 1/2" drill. The 1/2" drill will be geared down for lots of torque turning larger diameter bits, usually around 750-850 rpms. The 1/2" hammer drills usually spin up to 2800 rpms with blows in the 30,000-50,000 bpm range. They work fine in drill only mode unless you need high torque.

Keith Z. [/B]

Keith,
You make a good point. But to expand on it, the drill I have turns at 1350 in low speed. I've used it with 4" hole saws with good results. Yeah, it's not the lowest torque drill you could have but if your only alternative is a basic 3/8" then it ain't bad.

Craig

John Christiansen
03-08-2003, 10:28 PM
My first post ever here at the creek, so I'm on a learning curve.

The only thing I can add to what you have already been told is my experience.

I have a 15 or 16 year old Millwaukee and a 3 year old Dewalt in my shop at work. The Millwaukee has been used and abused terribly over the years and the only repair I've done to it is to replace the trigger switch. The Dewalt, well, it still works. But........ In my oppinion it's like comparing Silverado to S10 or F150 to Ranger or Ram to Dakota, their not even in the same league. However it is the only dewalt tool that I have ever had a complaint about. and I own several of their products.

Our next one is going to be an SDS. Up untill a few months ago it was going to be a Hilti. But I've developed a bad attitude about French stuff lately,:mad: so the Hitachi is starting to look better now.

Von Bickley
03-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Metabo is the best hammer drill that I have used.

Gary
03-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Well.......

I'm going to do something I've never done before and suggest that, if you want something for occasional use for little bucks look at (shhhh....) harbor freight.

If money's not a big object, buy a name brand. I have a Hilti and a Bosch rotary hammer drill and love both of them. By the way, ONE (only) of the Home Depots here carries a very extensive selection of Hilti tools, up to and including their great demolition hammers. I was amazed; seems like a very 'un-Home Depot-like' thing to do.

The HF rotary hammer is normally $129.99, now on sale for half price of $69.99, catalog stock number 41983.

This is true rotary hammer drill using SDS bits, weighing 10 1/2 lbs. and IMHO probably much better for your purpose than a $120.00-$200.00 'regular' hammer drill of any brand. I have very few HF tools, but I did buy their clone of the Milwaukee Hole Hawg to haul around with me, and have actually been very happy with it for my usage.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase and Merry Concrete!!

Gary

Kevin Gerstenecker
03-09-2003, 6:11 AM
My choice would be the Bosch Bulldog, SDS Drill. We have several of these where I am employed, and they get a TON of use and take quite a beating. They are a great drill, and they hold up very well. I have no doubt that it would last a lifetime with occasional home-type use and the proper care. Just my 2 cents worth...............

Dave Hammelef
03-11-2003, 6:53 PM
Wow, Harbor Freight has the Makita 1501 (Factory Recon) for $49.99 utter guys for a new one is $94.

Here is the link to the Harbor Freight deal
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55087

Very Tempting

John Sanford
03-11-2003, 7:48 PM
For your use, the Makita 9/16" Hammer drill that Home Depot has would probably do the trick. Or you can spend more and leave yourself room for more demanding future requirements.

While I was there (picking up a Milwaukee 3/8" Magnum for $71, gloat, gloat, I FINALLY have a Milwaukee tool!), we discussed the issue of hammer drills. First, the "sizing" of a hammer drill (not to be confuse with a Rotary hammer drill) is based on the manufacturers recommendation of the largest hammer bit you should use, NOT the bit's shank size.

Second, when using the hammer function, you only need about 15 lbs of force. Let the HAMMER do the work, forcing it will only drastically shorten the life of your bits. (This is hearsay from the Hilti rep). It sounds as if this is like using a random orbit sander...

Dave Hammelef
03-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by John S.
.........................It sounds as if this is like using a random orbit sander...

So I lean into until it stops spinning or I get lots of smoke (Oh I remember those days :mad: ) Live and learn

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

Rob Russell
03-14-2003, 11:22 AM
I've got a Hitachi SDS rotary hammer that I got used in the HD clearance corner. I used it last weekend to drill 3/4" holes. It went through the concrete almost as fast as a regular drill pushes a large spade bit through a 2x4. I haven't used this much, but expect that it would hold up as well as the other brands mentioned in previous posts.