PDA

View Full Version : Deck lighting suggestions needed

Wes Billups
04-22-2008, 9:11 PM
I've just finished rebuilding our deck and need to order the Trex post sleeves and railing sections. My wife and I'd like to put some type of low voltage lighting in and I was wondering what everyone suggests. If you have pictures of an installation that would also be appreciated.

I will say that we'd like to keep the whole lighting item under $300. Searching the internet there are a few options out there that run more than $50/light. My thoughts were to use the kind that mount 12-18" up on the posts and shine downward. We'll have a total of 11 posts so whatever option we go with will need to be under $25/light.

Here's a picture of what I have in mind. This kits available from Lowes for $59 but wanted to hear what those with experience recommend.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/078275/078275103054md.jpg

Thanks,
Wes

Don Bullock
04-22-2008, 9:35 PM
Wes, I've had a lot of experience with outside lighting. Don't buy any lighting product with any plastic other than vinyl that has UV protection in it like that on fencing, siding and window sashes. No matter what the seller says, most plastics will get brittle over time and break. I can't add up all the money I've wasted over the years learning this lesson.

Rob Russell
04-23-2008, 6:39 AM
I'd only put in metal lights. I learned the hard way on those little "stake in the ground" lights that metal is the only way to go.

I'd talk with a local electrical supply house and see what they have. This is one of those "do it once but do it right" sort of things. Even if you need to save your money for a bit so you can put in better quality/commercial grade lighting that will last - in the long run you'll be happier.

Now, if you're only going to be in the house for another couple years - get the cheap plastic stuff.

Rob

Tom Godley
04-23-2008, 7:23 AM
I must agree on getting better lights - some of the plastic is fine but you must get the better product line often sold for shore areas - I have not seen these at the box stores.

I buy the metal- you can buy them at a rather good price at a lot of supply stores. I buy mine at the local supply house for underground sprinkler/ plumbing -- most guys who do sprinklers also do the low volt lighting around hear.

One of the problems you have with the cheap stuff is the light direction can be bad. Around a deck it looks better with less lights directed properly providing brighter light to the areas that need it.

I hate it when decks look like a runway.

As far as the transformers - I have never had any trouble with the less expensive units. I like the timers over the ones with the photo cell

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
My deck is lit with lights that I bought individually at HD, plus a timer and
a roll of the wire, all for about $70. The lights were nothing fancy but I lighted only the steps.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/e02ec97a-f1c7-4318-8068-a5648d0c4796_4.jpg