PDA

View Full Version : Box Joint Jig

Jim VanBramer
03-31-2004, 1:57 PM
I'm in the process of finishing up my router table, and I'm looking for any plans that might be out there for a box joint jig that can be used on it (along with any hints on using it as well). Is there anything like that out there?? Thanks in advance.

Chris Padilla
03-31-2004, 2:02 PM
I typed "box joint router jig" into Google and found this:

http://www.plansnow.com/boxjoint.html

Dan Stuewe
03-31-2004, 2:08 PM
I'd check all the magazine's web sites. I think they've all had an article on making a box joint jig at least once (or twice) in their history, and most of them will sell you a back issue or just the plans. I'm thinking this is kinda lucrative for them since they seem to have pretty good search capablities for plans for sale.

www.augusthome.com
www.woodmagazine.com
www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/index.asp

Keith Starosta
03-31-2004, 2:20 PM
Jim, check your PM's.....

Keith

Jim VanBramer
03-31-2004, 3:46 PM
Alright ... I've got some plans for a jig now, but can anybody out there tell me how they use them on a router table? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but that's where my brain's at today! :confused: :D

Chris Padilla
03-31-2004, 3:54 PM
Jim,

If you have a miter slot in your router table, you are all set for most of these plans, I believe.

If not, you could build something that rides on the outer portion of your router table. You are just looking for controlled, 1 axis movement, right?

I happen to have an Incra fence on my router table so I can very precisely move the fence to do box joints or dovetails, too.

Mark Mazzo
03-31-2004, 4:14 PM
Alright ... I've got some plans for a jig now, but can anybody out there tell me how they use them on a router table? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but that's where my brain's at today! :confused: :D

Jim,

I made one from a book authored by Bill Hylton called Woodworking with the Router. It registers off the fence and is relatively small, so how applicable it is to your situation will depend on how big the stock is that you are routing.

Basically, the jig is similar to those in the links that others have provided except it does not use a miter slot. It has a key which indexes the stock while each finger of the joint is cut. The jig itself is basically an inverted "T" shape with a handle at the back. The stock is clamped against the back of the jig and the right side of the jig is run along the fence. The bottom of the jig just helps to transport the stock through the router bit. Once a finger is cut, you slide it over the key and route the next finger. To set up for using the jig at a later time you simply align the slot that was previously cut in it with the bit (preferrably the same one ;)) and then move the fence so that it is in contact with the right side of the jig. Mine is made from 1/4" hardboard for the bottom, and 5/8" plywood for the back, support pieces and the handle.

I know that a picture would do a better job of showing this, but I don't have one where I am right now.

--Mark

Mike Cutler
04-01-2004, 4:04 AM
Jim. Here is a link to the "Lynn Jig".This jig can be setup to cut box joints with a table saw, and can easily be altered to cut them on a router table as long as you have a miter slot, and the appropiate sized bit
http://www.leestyron.com/lynnjig.htm