PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Co Isn't Bankrupt

Lewis Perry
04-22-2008, 7:07 PM
I recently purchased a Coleman powermate generator powered by a honda engine. With a total run time of 8-10 hours it has been in the repair shop 2 times. The last time after keeping it for 4 months the warranty repair guy called me to say Coleman is bankrupt and parts are no longer available. My generator needs a stator{sp} so I guess I have a nice Honda engine with 8 or so hours on it. The warranty repair guy said Coleman owes him a "ton" of money for warranty work that he will never get. Not only am I out $1300 for a useless piece of equipment ---the thing that really aggravates me is Home Depot and the local farm supply store are still selling Coleman generators. So beware--if you buy Coleman products and it breaks--- its yours!

John Parker
04-22-2008, 7:35 PM
Lost quite a few jobs locally. As an outside vendor to companies like Coleman, I have seen alot of poorly run companies. Coleman was one of the worst. My company lost some money to them.

John

Denny Rice
04-22-2008, 7:49 PM
:(I hate to hear that about Coleman. I have been a camper / outdoorsman for years. I have a lot of older Coleman camping equipment, all made in the USA. So much for NAFTA...

Steve Schoene
04-22-2008, 7:55 PM
Coleman Company has not recently filed for bankruptcy protection. Please be careful about such misinformation since rumors can cause real problems.

But Coleman Co doesn't make generators. Coleman generators are now made by Powermate Corporation which DID file for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, on March 17, 2008. Since it is little over a month since the filing, NO ONE knows what is going to happen to the actual business or the provision of warrantee parts. It has also not been settled whether payments for pre-filing warrantee work will be made, but unless an actual liquidation is planned, rather than selling business units, there is a strong likelihood that post-bankruptcy warranty payments would actually be made as administrative payments. According to Street sources a sale of assets is contemplated. But your warrantee center is probably quite nervous about it and is just not doing business with them since there is as yet no assurance that the business won't be liquidated which usually means even the banks won't get fully paid.

Wes Bischel
04-22-2008, 7:59 PM
Actually it looks like Powermate is going into Chapter 11 - not Coleman. (note further down in the article.) Just FYI.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/03/19/afx4792466.html

Either way, sorry to hear about your problems Lewis.:(

Wes

Matt Meiser
04-22-2008, 8:08 PM
Just a point of clarification. Based on some quick research, Powermate. who sells products under the Coleman Powermat name, is bankrupt. The Coleman Company, which is a division of Jarden Corporation is not. This is the company that makes the coolers, lanterns, etc. Apparently at one time they were the same company but Powermate was sold off. Also, based on Google results, Gary Coleman is also bankrupt.

Lewis, is there an chance that that generator, was just assembled by Powermate from components sourced elsewhere? Obviously the motor is a Honda, but is there a chance that the generator itself might be common with another brand that could provide parts? Also, did you by chance pay by credit card? You might want to talk to your credit card company to see if you have recourse there. Our alarm company went out of business 5 months into a prepaid year of monitoring and we were able to get a credit from the credit card compnay. Or if you bought from Home Depot, drag them into it. They are going to want to unload the stock they have. A story about them selling unserviceable generators for $1300 on the local news's Consumer Helpline or whatever they call it there isn't going to help them.

Edit: I see some others have already posted the same thing.

Rob Will
04-22-2008, 8:10 PM
Lost quite a few jobs locally. As an outside vendor to companies like Coleman, I have seen alot of poorly run companies. Coleman was one of the worst. My company lost some money to them.

John

I hope that factory in Grand Island that makes combines is doing well.
I went on a tour there once.
Nice Town.

Rob

Peter Quinn
04-22-2008, 8:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Gary Coleman went bankrupt making generators. I guess he's had a rough time since different strokes went off air. I'd always hoped to go camping with him. Does he now work for the home depot?

Steve Flavin001
04-22-2008, 8:28 PM
inappropriate... :(

To get back to a positive thread, please post the model and serial number of what you purchased and maybe some of us can find the origional Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) that made it under their label in addition to the one mentioned, and help you find a supplier.

Looking forward to trying to be of assistance. :cool:

Craig Summers
04-22-2008, 9:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Gary Coleman went bankrupt making generators. I guess he's had a rough time since different strokes went off air. I'd always hoped to go camping with him. Does he now work for the home depot?

I heard it was the new fangled four stroke engines that did them in. :(

Lewis Perry
04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
One thing I know--on the Generator it reads Coleman/Powermate and I can't get it fixed. The Model # is PM0497000.01 Serial is E-16402748B. Thanks for any help

Mike Henderson
04-22-2008, 11:46 PM
One thing I know--on the Generator it reads Coleman/Powermate and I can't get it fixed. The Model # is PM0497000.01 Serial is E-16402748B. Thanks for any help
If it really is the generator stator that's the problem you can probably have it re-wound at an electric motor shop. Wouldn't be warrantee but you'd have a working generator.

Mike

Johnny Kleso
04-23-2008, 1:14 AM
Thanks
Reading the Google Ad below you post said

Coleman Powermate (http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B8-rW6NMOSJiCM4Te8wHys_WUAeHotBy16q3jBMCNtwGA8QQQARgB IOyq4w4oBDgAUPWX_pgCYMmuxYfgo7QQsgEUd3d3LnNhd21pbG xjcmVlay5vcme6AQk3Mjh4OTBfYXPIAQHaATJodHRwOi8vd3d3 LnNhd21pbGxjcmVlay5vcmcvc2hvd3RocmVhZC5waHA_dD04Mj Y3NOABAsgCiamwAqgDAcgDB-gDwwboA54B6AMw9QMCAQAAiAQBkAQBmAQA&num=1&ggladgrp=299972933&gglcreat=1189935653&adurl=http://www.shopzilla.com/mkt.xpml%3Fmkt_id%3D49381188&client=ca-pub-2969930168364092&nm=14)Find the Right Tool for the Job. Save on Coleman Powermate!
Shopzilla.com/Coleman

hehehehe

Mitchell Andrus
04-23-2008, 7:17 AM

Gary Coleman went bankrupt running Powermates, a singles club, not making generators as has been rumored. His dad owns Coleman Generators.

Jeesh, I hate when rumors take on a life of their own.

Matt Meiser
04-23-2008, 7:53 AM
Lewis, are there any markings on the generator itself (the electricity making part?)

I'm thinking there are a couple ways to salvage at least part of your investment--fix the generator by obtaining parts elsewhere if the actual generator is made by a 3rd party as a commodity item, replace the generator itself, which might mean some wiring or fabrication, or part it out--a side-shaft Honda motor with only 8-10 hours should be pretty valuable.

Rick Moyer
04-23-2008, 7:45 PM

Gary Coleman's bankruptcy was the result of him always being a little short! (rim shot...groan):D

Darren Ford
04-23-2008, 8:41 PM
Does anyone else think its ironic that Lewis is having trouble with Coleman?

Matt Meiser
04-23-2008, 8:52 PM
Uh, wasn't it Willis?

Peter Quinn
04-23-2008, 9:02 PM
No No..that was Willis..who is now in prison, or was, or should be for that bad acting in the 80's.

Darren Ford
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes it was Willis... I am an idiot.

Butch Edwards
04-24-2008, 7:56 AM
If it really is the generator stator that's the problem you can probably have it re-wound at an electric motor shop. Wouldn't be warrantee but you'd have a working generator.

Mike

yep, it's better than having a $1300 yard ornament...;)

Dennis Peacock
04-24-2008, 8:03 AM
Let's try to keep this on topic please. It's not about how to make Coleman a profitable company...it's about a broken generator that the OP can't seem to get fixed.

Thanks to those that are stepping up and trying to help get it fixed. :D