PDA

View Full Version : Ash Carved and Ebonized HF

David Newson
04-22-2008, 4:06 PM
Just finished a Ash hollow form which was hollowed out to about 1/8" thickness with Woodcut hollowing tools, and then carved with a Proxon long neck mini grinder fitted with a small chainsaw cutting wheel, I did originally attempt to do the carving detail with a 41/2" Bosch angle grinder also fitted with a chainsaw cutting wheel, but decided it was to dangerous because of the torque which was making it difficult to control and I didn't fancy cutting into my Vicmarc chuck or any thing else, I then used a rotary wire brush with the lathe stationary to remove any wood whiskers left after carving, then I applied a thin coat of sanding sealer, and finally finished with 2 spray coats of satin black lacquer and red enamel paint.

Edited Version !
Just noticed what I originally had written, It should have read was turned to shape then carved with the lathe running about 700rpm, then hollowed out, I also didn't mention the neck opening was cut to shape by hand with a small fretsaw, sorry for any confusion.

Benjamin, I'll take some more pictures and put them up.thanks.

David

Benjamin Dahl
04-22-2008, 4:11 PM
David, I really like that and if possible would like to see a couple more photos from other angles. sounds like a smart move changing grinders.
Thanks,
Ben

Ben Gastfriend
04-22-2008, 4:32 PM
Now that is just plain cool! Awesome job, and a really nice piece.

Bill Wyko
04-22-2008, 4:36 PM
Very nice. Elegant piece. I like work out of the ordinary. (Not much ordinary around here. Lots of skills) You could have stopped with it smooth but taking it to the next level really paid off.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2008, 5:16 PM
Beautiful work David! Reminds me of the seedpod hollow forms that I see in the galleries! Love the texture, the form and your dramatic use of color! Excellent!

Bill Bolen
04-22-2008, 6:42 PM
All the trouble you went to sure paid off! Spectacular piece. One of the few "burned" pieces that I am drawn to. Guess it is the "seed pod" feeling that comes from it. Great work!..Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2008, 9:44 PM
Beautiful piece David. Well done.

Jim Becker
04-22-2008, 9:45 PM
David...great work. That's an outstanding piece!

Brian Brown
04-22-2008, 9:48 PM
Ohhhhhh, That's cool. I really like the red accent.

David Newson
04-23-2008, 5:40 AM
David, I really like that and if possible would like to see a couple more photos from other angles. sounds like a smart move changing grinders.
Thanks,
Ben

More pictures as requested and thanks everyone for looking.

This hollow form was really easier to turn than it actually looks, and I'm sure if someone gives it a try they will see just how easy it is, and it was great fun as well.

David
__________________________________________________ ______
Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Barry Elder
04-23-2008, 6:51 AM
Nice piece, David! The form and colors work well together.

Burt Alcantara
04-23-2008, 8:41 AM
David,
I like the form and color. However, I think the gloss finish gives a muddy appearance to the overall look. Perhaps a matt finish would show off the texturing better.

Just my skewed opinion.

Burt

David Newson
04-23-2008, 9:49 AM
Thanks every one for looking and your complementary comments.

Bert it is a satin finish and not gloss, I think the problem lies in the fact the first picture on 1st posting looks better which was originally taken late afternoon yesterday outside, and the group of four pictures which is what your probably referring to was added today and was taken early this morning under a glass room, and yes they do look glossy maybe it was the flash or strange lighting,but yes they are certainly glossy looking than the first posting !

And I agree the gloss doesn't look right.

David
__________________________________________________ _____

Glenn Hodges
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
David I like seeing somthing different, and this fits the description, thanks. I like it.

Jeff Bower
04-23-2008, 1:16 PM
David that is beautiful. How much time do you have in it?

BTW....I've never seen red inside of an avocado.:D:p

David Newson
04-23-2008, 5:57 PM
In answer to your question Jeff, I probably spent a total of about two to two and half hours, that was my first one of that type, that does not include the drying of the two coats of black acrylic lacquer I used and the red enamel paint.

In hindsight I should have left myself a bit more room away from the chuck, its was bit frightening with a chainsaw cutter wheel that close and both spinning in opposite directions, the next time I'll make sure a leave a bit more space, this will make the project even quicker and a lot safer.

David
__________________________________________________ ______________