PDA

View Full Version : SawStop dust collection mod

Kevin Groenke
04-22-2008, 4:01 PM
The shroud on the sawstop seems to improve dust collection at the blade, but we've found that dust and chips can really collect at the bottom of the cabinet. If the machine is used without dust collection for any length of time it only makes matters worse. It's not terribly difficult to occasionally pull the hose off the shroud and use it as a vac to clean up the cabinet, but it isn't the most pleasant job either.

Since the 4" inlet on the sawstop seemed a bit undersized from the start, we've come up with a simple modification to collect accumulation at the bottom of the cabinet and increase the inlet size at the same time.

We've simply added a 5" flange directly over the 4" one provided on the saw (6" would be even better but we don't have 6" to the saw). With the new flange resting on top of the factory flange, we traced the resulting "smile" below the factory flange. This smile was then cut out (w/air auto body saw) and the 5" flange screwed to the cabinet. The existing 4" hose to the shroud is unchanged, collection at that point seems unaffected.

It hasn't been in use long, but the air being pulled through the new opening at the bottom of the cabinet seems to be minimizing accumulation in the cabinet base. The addition of a 6" flange would result in the opening being very close to the floor of the cabinet which would work that much better. (see pics comparing modified to original after about 1 week of operation)

-kg

"SMILE" CUT-OUT

INTERIOR

EXTERIOR

ACCUMULATION: MODIFIED

ACCUMULATION: ORIGINAL

David Giles
04-22-2008, 5:55 PM
Makes you pucker to cut a hole in that expensive saw, doesn't it! Looks like a nice job that should greatly increase the air flow and dust collection.

Brian Penning
04-22-2008, 6:38 PM
I think my SS needs a mod to seal the gaps between the top of the base cabinet and the underside of the top.
My outfeed table shelf and on the floor around the base really seems to be getting accumulating the dust from this area.
Partially my fault I suspect. I don't always bother turning on the DC.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/Miscilaneous/IMG_3269.jpg?t=1208907552

Kevin Groenke
04-22-2008, 8:39 PM
We've put foam in the side and back table/cabinet gaps and some dust still gets through. Plugging too many of the holes will result in "choking" the air flow and ultimately reducing the dust collection. That said, if you're plugging gaps, leave any openings on the front of the saw open as any increase in volume/velocity in that area will help prevent build-up of dust/chips in the height/tilt adjustment mechanisms (which are somewhat prone to dust build-up).

-kg