PDA

View Full Version : Close call

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2008, 3:58 PM
I had a close call today. Had a call to engrave a product logo in a piece of furniture (cabinet). Was told it was cherry. I had Ed Lang from here on the Creek cut me some thin cherry (thanks Ed!), and I stained it to match their existing cabinet best I could from memory, engraved it, took to them, they approved it and told me to come get the item. I went over, took the unit apart to get the piece I needed and when I did, I tapped on the panel and it had a very weird sound. Very much like the core wasn't wood. I commented on it, and told them I'd take it back to the shop and burn a small area behind a hinge mount or something.

Did that and I was dead on. It wasn't cherry, but rather cherry veneer. VERY thin veneer. If I would have burned it, it would have ruined the piece and I would have been in deep do do.

Close call. New customer, first job. Glad I was paying attention today. It's not often that I do pay attention, so I'm just glad it was today.

Joe Pelonio
04-22-2008, 4:36 PM
Nice save. Experience and a lot of thought help.

It seems like it's fairly common for the customer to be unsure of what they have or tell you the wrong thing!

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2008, 5:03 PM
Yes, and they paid for cherry, so someone got a nasty phone call minutes after I left wondering why they got a veneer when they paid for solid wood.

Dee Gallo
04-22-2008, 5:40 PM
Scott, from a business point of view, that was a great save on your part, for everyone involved (except the original maker...)

But, IF you had burned it - would it really be "your fault"? What did the test burn look like? Was it particle board or something awful underneath? And if it was something nasty that could have ruined your laser, what would be your recourse? I'm just curious about a worst-case scenario. Some of us are not as astute as you are!

cheers, dee

David Fairfield
04-22-2008, 6:10 PM
Good save, just goes to show you, it pays to knock on wood! ;)

Dave

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2008, 6:41 PM
Good save, just goes to show you, it pays to knock on wood! ;)

Dave

Good one Dave :)

Dee, I would have paid someone to remake the door if I had burned it and it wasn't right. I could easily turn it back on them, but I don't do business that way. I would have seen it as a mistake on my part for not catching it and I would have taken responsibility for my actions. Could I have turned it back to them and told them it wasn't what they told me it was? Sure. Would I ever get another job from them? Probably not.

Let's face it, I got lucky on this one. Doesn't always happen that way.