PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Weirdness

Peter Stahl
04-22-2008, 1:43 PM
We have a shared PC at work and if you click on a Yahoo favorite (using IE 6.0...) I get a box that pops up (see attached pic). Doesn't matter where I open it from I still get the warning box. Any idea why? All the other PC's are ok. Deleted all Temp File and Cookies.

Rick Gifford
04-22-2008, 2:26 PM
Sounds like you have a virus on that computer. Probably a Trojan.

This might help, worth a try:

Download MsnCleaner.zip from here, but don't use it yet.
http://www.forospyware.com/Msncleaner/Ms... (http://www.forospyware.com/Msncleaner/MsnCleaner.zip)

(Copy/Paste the URL into the address bar or use "Save Target As")

* Now reboot into Safe Mode(Safe Mode/help)
Note: SafeBootKeyRepair (help)
* Double-click MsnCleaner_eng.exe to run it.
* Click the Language button.
* Click the Analyze button.
* A report will be created once after you finish scan.
* If it finds an infection, click the Deleted button.
* Now, please reboot back to normal mode.

Download the MSNFix.zip
http://sosvirus.changelog.fr/MSNFix.zip (http://sosvirus.changelog.fr/MSNFix.zip)

(Copy/Paste the URL into the address bar or use "Save Target As")

* Unzip the MSNFix.zip with a zip-tool in an own folder onto your desktop
* Double-Click onto the MSNFix.bat to start it
* Use your language, you can use E for Englisch
* Use the R (Search) for search
* As an infection will be found, you are asked to enter an other taste
to starte the cleaning
* Restart your system, when the scan is fisnished
* A report file with the results can be found in the same folder.
Source(s):

hijackthis

Peter Stahl
04-22-2008, 3:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Rick. The Yahoo fav is the only one doing this so I didn't think it was a virus. I'll give what you suggested a try.

thanks, Pete

Joe Pelonio
04-22-2008, 3:53 PM
I'm wondering if you can find out from the Yahoo website whether there's an updated version that's trying to load automatically, as Firefox does, and perhaps windows security just doesn't like you using Yahoo.

Peter Stahl
04-22-2008, 4:02 PM
I'm wondering if you can find out from the Yahoo website whether there's an updated version that's trying to load automatically, as Firefox does, and perhaps windows security just doesn't like you using Yahoo.

Joe,
Don't know, I was just opening IE and and Yahoo is the home page. This box pops up and you either say yes or start another IE session then cancel the Yahoo pop-up. It just a pain, it's not hurting anything. I also ran Noadware and it didn't find anything but a couple cookies. This is just one of those weird annoying things.

Joe Pelonio
04-22-2008, 4:40 PM
Maybe try clearing your cookies, temporary files and history, then restart and see if that works.

Peter Stahl
04-23-2008, 5:07 AM
Maybe try clearing your cookies, temporary files and history, then restart and see if that works.

I did all that and that didn't help but after I ran NoAdware the problem went away. It found some tracking cookies, here's what part of the log looked like. Didn't there were evil cookies out there! Thanks for the help everyone, wouldn't had thought it was a virus/trojan.

Noadware 5.0

---------------------

Removing Spyware Tracking Cookie...
Removing Registry Tracking Cookie...
Removing RegValues Tracking Cookie...
Fixing RegValue dataTracking Cookie...

Removing Cookies Tracking Cookie...

Rich Engelhardt
04-23-2008, 5:50 AM
Hello,

We have a shared PC at work
Probably a policy setting or profile gone South and/or some issue with local rights on the machine.
If it's only one machine that's doing it, then have you Lan admin remove it from the domain - wait an hour - and then rejoin it to the domain under a new name.

It sounds like the security settings of IE are set to warn/ask for the download of files.
Tools ->internet options->security tab.
Under the settings, drill down to Downloads -> automatic prompting.
See if it's set for enabled or disabled.
If it's enabled, set it for disabled and see if the prompting continues & if it continues after you log off and log back on.

If the setting changes from disabled, back to enabled, after you log back on, then your Lan admisitrator has an enourmous task on his/her hands.
That would indicate that the workstation you think is "broken" is actually the only one that's working! it's geting the domain policies applied correctly,. the other ones aren't.

There's also another tool to run on all XP machines.
It's called UPHClean-Setup.msi & can be downloaded from Microsoft.
It will provide a positive unload of all open files when switching users on a shared machine.

Aaron Koehl
04-24-2008, 9:44 AM
Try deleting the Yahoo bookmark, then recreating it.

Alternatively, save the file and open it in a text editor. That would shed light on the cause of the issue.

Peter Stahl
04-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Try deleting the Yahoo bookmark, then recreating it.

Alternatively, save the file and open it in a text editor. That would shed light on the cause of the issue.

When I opened it in notepad I just got what looks like a bunch jarbled text and stuff. Can I send it to you to see what you think?

David G Baker
04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
The LOML and I have Yahoo as our home page and E-mail source. We are now experiencing some of the weirdness that has been mentioned in this thread. Wonder what Yahoo is doing? Maybe getting ready for the Microsoft take over? When and if that happens guess we will change our addresses to gmail.