PDA

View Full Version : Raccoons have made a mess.

Brian Penning
04-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I have an above ground extension(8 X 10) on my house that sits roughly 6-8 inches above the ground.
The raccoons have ripped down the Styrofoam and insulation(Styrofoam covered the fibreglass insulation) under the floor.
Any ideas how to re-insulate the floor other than ripping out the floor from above?
Could I have something sprayed into the 6-8" gap that's accessible from 2 sides only?
TIA

Dave Verstraete
04-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Brian

Around here , we have a company called NuWool that sprays cellulose based insulation into existing walls or floors. They have a lot of distributors around the country...maybe in Canada too???

Jim Becker
04-22-2008, 5:29 PM
Ouch, that's a tough situation, Brian...access would be difficult for spraying from below. Realistically, that area should have had a hard cover over it once the insulation was installed since it's effectively exposed to the weather...and as you mention, varmints. Spray foam might have been an option if the installer had the ability to use a longer wand to get in there and can at least have enough headroom to see what he/she is doing, but that doesn't sound like the case. And you're still left with the need to cover things with plywood or something to at least discourage the racoons from removing the new material...which they likely will try to do.

Joe Pelonio
04-22-2008, 6:34 PM
You may have thought of this already but maybe some lattice along the open area will slow them down after you figure out the insulation replacement. I wonder what they wanted it for, nesting?

Chuck Wintle
04-22-2008, 6:43 PM
What about some of the spray expanding foam insulation that is used around window frames?